Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Irene's fury  (Read 13244 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Irene's fury
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2011, 02:53:26 pm »
we'll check in with you when the volcano's about to blow,and see if you feel the same way :-)

:D

Ron Price

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 03:10:02 pm »
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 03:25:02 pm »
One nice thing about hurricanes is that they move so slowly you have time to think about a plan.  Even if it's as close as 100 miles away it still only moves at 15 mph.  Not true with other calamities, like earthquakes or volcanoes.
Having brewers supplies makes the power outages manageable - freezer full of frozen water bottles to keep everything from spoiling, propane burners to cook stuff, big kettles to boil water.  It's all good.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 03:29:35 pm »
One nice thing about hurricanes is that they move so slowly you have time to think about a plan.  Even if it's as close as 100 miles away it still only moves at 15 mph.  Not true with other calamities, like earthquakes or volcanoes.
Having brewers supplies makes the power outages manageable - freezer full of frozen water bottles to keep everything from spoiling, propane burners to cook stuff, big kettles to boil water.  It's all good.

The worst that I plan for where I live is a major tornado that takes out all of the power for up to a week.  I can walk to the river for water and boil it fo make it potable. 

Lived through a 3.5 days outage at our old house some years back.  Not so fun.

Hang in there all of you on the east Coast.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 03:51:21 pm »

BTW - waves are sick today - 12-14ft sets at the pier down the street from my office.

So, when are the predicting the waves to get big?   ;D

The main thing I learned that summer is you've got to be prepared in advance, and there is no way to change what's coming your way.  You just have to take it on the head, and then clean up and move on.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 04:33:42 pm »
You just have to take it on the head, and then clean up and move on.

I've said it once today, and I'll say it again...................THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 04:41:17 pm »
You just have to take it on the head, and then clean up and move on.

I've said it once today, and I'll say it again...................THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!!

Man - you're really reachin' for that one weaz. I'm not even sure what that means. Keep your proclivities to yourself, man!  ;)

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 04:46:02 pm »
Keep your proclivities to yourself, man! 

Had to bust out the dictonary on that one. Next time you choose to scold me, you're gonna need to dumb it down for me.  ;D

Offline woadwarrior

• Cellarman
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 04:48:57 pm »
I was listening to the weather report and they were saying this might be the worst hurricane to hit the coast since 1950 sumtin'. Here in western PA, they're predicting sunny and 80 on Saturday. Good luck to all of you along the coast.

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 08:32:38 pm »
we'll check in with you when the volcano's about to blow,and see if you feel the same way :-)

:D

I just saw this. 
The volcano(s) are a big part of why I moved here!  Kilauea has been erupting continuously since January 1983.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2011, 08:42:47 pm »
gearing up for the hurricane here on the jersey shore, water, food, flashlights, batts, etc etc.  should be a good one.

on a related note, i went surfing *during* hurricane Gloria back in 85? 86? Took me 45min of constant paddling to get out past the breakers. rode one 12-14ft wave (the face was double that), wiped out near the end of the ride and spent over 3 min underwater until i reached down and grabbed my leash and pulled the board down so it floated me back up. good times. gooooooooood times.

tonyp
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline aviking427

• Cellarman
  • Pound Ridge, NY
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2011, 08:58:52 pm »
We are gonna get whacked here in South Eastern NY. The center is going right over us if the models are correct and I'm not too confident she will downgrade much. There is a bunch of potential for her to speed up or maintain her 2-3 once she gets up here due to the current flow of the jet stream. Sooooooooooooo.... I have 15 gallons of homebrew, 1 - 10 lb pork butt ready to smoke, generator, lots 'o water, salmon ready to smoke, cigars and a prayer that she moves far east. Tempted to brew a batch during the storm. or is that taunting?
Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2011, 10:18:29 pm »
Yup, I'm right in the path. About in the middle of the state. Now I've never been through a hurricane - I was living in CA when Floyd came through - So I'm not really sure what measures are appropriate. I figured fill a few corneys with water (hey, not like they're holding beer, right?) get the aux pump ready, gas up the Jeep, and get stuff on the basement floor moved to higher ground.

Wish I had a genny, but at least I have an inverter for the jeep. Have to make sure I have batteries for the flashlights, though. Hell, if nothing else I have a kerosene lamp.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2011, 10:53:20 pm »
you guys in the storm path be safe.  stock up on your beer and pop tarts early.  even a cat1 storm is a BIG DEAL.  be careful. 

I work for a company that does electrical power generation and we have roughly 28 power plants in the north east.  Not only did we ship an enormous load of "spares" up today, we signed on with rignet for emergency services and I worked out the vpn tunnel configs for worst case scenarios in the event of verizon and at&t failures. 

Even tho I live in Texas, my weekend is absolutely shot as I will be spending it in support of getting electric plants back online after the storm.  Bad timing too, I married my lovely wife 11 years ago this weekend.  We were supposed to do a limo winery trip for our anniversary.  So much for that.  We even had a weekend babysitter thing worked out, I guess that just means my kids wont be bothering me while I am working at the computer. 

f##kin yankees and their yankee hurricanes. 

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2011, 11:00:05 pm »
Honestly, we've been praying for a hurricane, tropical storm whatever. Just so we can get some freakin real rain. :-\

But it's all gone North this year and it hasn't been good for them.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis