Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Irene's fury  (Read 13273 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: Irene's fury
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2011, 11:53:11 pm »

I work for a company that does electrical power generation and we have roughly 28 power plants in the north east.  Not only did we ship an enormous load of "spares" up today, we signed on with rignet for emergency services and I worked out the vpn tunnel configs for worst case scenarios in the event of verizon and at&t failures. 

Even tho I live in Texas, my weekend is absolutely shot as I will be spending it in support of getting electric plants back online after the storm. 

Sounds like you're involved with load dispatch.  Not sure what you mean by "spares."

From my experience, after the storm has passed, generation capacity is not the problem.  Power plants usually weather the storm well.  It is transmission, and paticularly distribution infrastructure that suffer the most damage.  The plants can generate all the power needed, there is just nowhere to send it.

One of the most inspiring and "make me proud to be American" things, is how power companies  across the nation send line crews to areas affected by storms to assist in repairing the transmission and distribution system damage.  It is truly American exceptionalism at it's finest.

I am also proud that Orlando Utilities Commision line crews have the reputation of being some of the best trained and hardest working storm repair crews in the nation.

I am praying that Irene takes a hard hook to the right and spins off harnlessly into the north Atlantic!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2011, 12:21:54 am »
Honestly, we've been praying for a hurricane, tropical storm whatever. Just so we can get some freakin real rain. :-\

But it's all gone North this year and it hasn't been good for them.
As dry as it's been there euge, I would think massive amount of rain would just cause massive runoff and flash floods.  You guys need 3 days of sustained light rain to soften the ground, then a decent storm.

Or not. :D
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2011, 12:40:54 am »
Tom I think we'd take it anyway. The Edwards aquifer can soak up quite a bit of rain in the recharge zone and we get flash floods that kill people in normal years. The bulk of the water ends up in the Gulf. But, yes- I concur. Consistent light rain for a few days. Then a soaker.

From watching the news it looks like the affected States are trying to be proactive instead of reactionary towards the emergency. Kudos.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2011, 12:54:58 am »

From watching the news it looks like the affected States are trying to be proactive instead of reactionary towards the emergency. Kudos.

Yes, and I'm sure that much consideration is being given to it all in Martha's Vineyard.   ::)

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2011, 01:01:07 am »
Such cynicism. ;D

Hit by an earthquake and then a hurricane a week later. What a bummer.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2011, 07:34:04 am »
Tempted to brew a batch during the storm. or is that taunting?

Just call it Irene's Fuery.  :)
Ron Price

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2011, 07:38:23 am »
Such cynicism. ;D

Hit by an earthquake and then a hurricane a week later. What a bummer.

Crazy times.  :-\
Ron Price

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2011, 07:48:07 am »
Only calling for tropical storm winds in my area, Ron.  I'm about 50 miles northwest of you.  I hope it goes to the right as well.  On the bright side, the generator is ready to go and we have plenty of food and water.  Lost power for 4 days when Isabelle came through in 2003, we were the only house in the area that had a generator at the time.  Good luck to you, brother.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2011, 11:04:53 am »
One of the most inspiring and "make me proud to be American" things, is how power companies  across the nation send line crews to areas affected by storms to assist in repairing the transmission and distribution system damage.  It is truly American exceptionalism at it's finest.

Amen.

I make sure I point out to my daughters that the utilities don't just magically come back online. I'll point out the window during a storm and say, "look out there - right now, there's someone outside in that who would rather be safe at home with their family, but who went out in this storm to do a dangerous job just so that we could have power again."
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

narvin

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2011, 10:29:27 pm »

Yes, and I'm sure that much consideration is being given to it all in Martha's Vineyard.   ::)

I'm not really sure what you're getting at here.  Is it because the President is on vacation? 

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2011, 11:53:38 am »
Irene made landfall about 2 hours ago at Cape Lookout, NC. She's now traveling the coast line NNE and heading my way. It's should be passing through the night. I am prepared as I can possibly be.

Good luck to all east coasters.
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2011, 12:17:48 pm »
Head down Ron, be safe.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2011, 12:38:14 pm »
Irene made landfall about 2 hours ago at Cape Lookout, NC. She's now traveling the coast line NNE and heading my way. It's should be passing through the night. I am prepared as I can possibly be.

Good luck to all east coasters.

Duck and cover amigo!  Be safe.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2011, 12:52:23 pm »
Biggest result of her fury here is that she cut short our scout campout.  We were camping in the National Park and they made us evac by noon.  Would have been fun to see which of the kids floated away :)
Joe

Offline punatic

« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2011, 01:04:04 pm »
Biggest result of her fury here is that she cut short our scout campout.  We were camping in the National Park and they made us evac by noon.  Would have been fun to see which of the kids floated away :)

Shenandoah National Park?  I spent a lot of time there in my Scouting days.

Maybe they could have gotten their Mile Swim Patch  ;)

Sorry for the hijack.  Just curious.

AHA Life Member #33907