Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Irene's fury  (Read 13241 times)

Offline MrNate

• Brewmaster
  • Bridgewater, NJ
Re: Irene's fury
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2011, 01:06:05 pm »
Power just came back on here.

Ended up with about 6" of water in the basement - The sump pump just couldn't keep up.

Looks like my 3-day-old water heater may be hosed.
“If one's actions are honest, one does not need the predated confidence of others, only their rational perception.”

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2011, 03:26:43 pm »
we're about 15min from the ocean and all i can say is meh, I've been thru much worse. Other than some wind and rain it was quite unspectacular. never lost power, no flooding, nothing.

I did have to clean some branches out of the driveway tho!
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2011, 03:31:05 pm »
Funny, my dad in NJ just lost power for the first time.  Maybe someone hit a pole or a branch fell on a wire.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2011, 03:51:41 pm »
Insurance-wise it is important to know the difference between rising water (flooding) and wind-driven leaking.  Rising water damage is only covered by Federal Flood Insurance.

Homeowners insurance companies are going to be VERY picky about how they pay on damages from this storm.  They are going to be taking a major hit.  Even though I had replacement cost coverage, and no flood damage, I only received a fraction of the cost to repair the damage done to my home by the hurricanes of 2004.

Be sure to take lots of pictures of your damage and document it as much as possible.  It will probably be necessary to make repairs long before an insurance assessor/adjuster can inspect your damages.   Document, document, document!  Get receipts for everything.

It sucks that it's that way, but that is the reality of it.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2011, 06:08:28 pm »
Insurance-wise it is important to know the difference between rising water (flooding) and wind-driven leaking.  Rising water damage is only covered by Federal Flood Insurance.

Homeowners insurance companies are going to be VERY picky about how they pay on damages from this storm.  They are going to be taking a major hit.  Even though I had replacement cost coverage, and no flood damage, I only received a fraction of the cost to repair the damage done to my home by the hurricanes of 2004.

Be sure to take lots of pictures of your damage and document it as much as possible.  It will probably be necessary to make repairs long before an insurance assessor/adjuster can inspect your damages.   Document, document, document!  Get receipts for everything.

It sucks that it's that way, but that is the reality of it.

I am planning to contact my Homeowners Insurace company tomorrow. I want to see if they'll cover the replacement of the flooring/carpeting that was saturated from wind driven rain.

I took some pics and have adequate evidence but it will depend on how they stipulate this specific damage in the policy.

Fingers crossed.

Ron Price

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2011, 07:00:46 am »
In NJ pretty much all of my friends and family made it through unscathed.  No power loss, only minor basement flooding if any.  The aftermath is that roads are closed everywhere and I can't make it into work.  Maybe a good thing?
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2011, 02:32:05 pm »
Pictures and video from my hometown of Windsor, VT:

This is a small dam on Kennedy's pond.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTam7E85n_0&feature=related
Rte. 44 in the narrows

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sqme34WtYM

This is a stream that feeds from Kennedy's ( Mill Pond ) and goes through part of the town, under several roadways, before dumping into the Connecticut River.

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2011, 02:36:21 pm »
I heard VT was flooding badly. Stay safe...I'm sure lots of people think the storm was a 'cry wolf' moment...there are at least 10 or so who probably thought otherwise before they perished!
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2011, 02:39:55 pm »
And a little further south from where I grew up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ck7Xtxo2ZQU
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline punatic

« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2011, 02:51:18 pm »
How sad to see a 141 year old piece of history being washed away like that.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2011, 10:38:16 pm »
They're saying 27 dead at this point. Irene broke her back on the South. Just think if no-one had evacuated or done anything about it. Hell, 90 years ago it probably would have killed thousands.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2011, 11:07:23 pm »
They're saying 27 dead at this point. Irene broke her back on the South. Just think if no-one had evacuated or done anything about it. Hell, 90 years ago it probably would have killed thousands.

Yeah, but she spilled her guts on New England.  That is an amazing amount of rainfall for the mainland!

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline glastctbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #72 on: August 30, 2011, 06:53:02 am »
Connectivity!   Lost power at about 7:15AM Sunday and its still out.  Had to get to my office in Western MA to get online.  Cooked the fridge Sunday night, the freezer last night and hoping power comes back before we run out of water in the tubs.  We're on a well so no power = no water.  I'm SOOO glad I didn't brew Saturday, the fermentation would be a cluster ...

Luckily, no family or friends suffered injury or damage to homes.  My thoughts to those who did.
Scott
Still Hill Brewery

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2011, 09:21:50 am »
Connectivity!   Lost power at about 7:15AM Sunday and its still out.  Had to get to my office in Western MA to get online.  Cooked the fridge Sunday night, the freezer last night and hoping power comes back before we run out of water in the tubs.  We're on a well so no power = no water.  I'm SOOO glad I didn't brew Saturday, the fermentation would be a cluster ...

Luckily, no family or friends suffered injury or damage to homes.  My thoughts to those who did.

Wow...hope you get it back on soon. It's been tough for a lot of folks.

Good Luck!
Ron Price

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2011, 09:56:51 am »
yeah all my folks in VT made it through allright as well, but they are having to drive all over heck and back to get anywhere with all the roads that washed out. Two covered bridges destroyed which is a real shame as there are fewer and fewer that are still operating. When I bring someone to VT to experience the flavour a covered bridge crossing is a must.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce