Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Servomyces capsules  (Read 5623 times)

Offline mrbounds

• Cellarman
Servomyces capsules
« on: January 02, 2010, 07:37:51 am »
Just wondered if anyone else had issues with these things dissolving? I used for the first time yesterday and added the capsule 10 minutes before the end of the boil as per the instructions. Lo and behold 10 minutes later the damn thing was still intact and holding all of its goodies inside the capsule. I ended up removing and breaking the capsule up myself!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Servomyces capsules
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 08:07:50 am »
Mine always dissolved. FWIW Servomyces is a huge waste of money. It is a way for you to use yeast nutrients while still sticking to the Reinheitsghebot. Basically it is yeast infused with zinc. I personally rarely use any nutrient except for my starters but when I do I use the Wyeast nutrient - it has zinc and yeast hulls, etc. but is only a fraction of the cost of servo.

Offline klosterfocke

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 06:57:24 am »
When I used it I would open the capsule and dump it in the wort at 10 minutes before end of boil. Like Major, though, I prefer the Wyeast nutrient for cost effectiveness; it works just as well.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 07:28:17 am »
A very cheap approach is to buy zinc suppliment tablets.  One half a tablet for a 10 gallon batch is at the ppm level that was given in the BYO yeast article this past summer. 

Dave Houseman said that you could use zinc tablets in place of Servomyces at the NHC in '07, so it is not my idea.  I have been doing it since, after the pack of Servomyces ran out.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 02:54:53 pm »
Yea those darn things don't dissolve well at all, as I remember just breaking them up before tossing them in wort. I liked it better when it came in the brewery bricks. I'm with hopfenundmalz... buy zinc tablets, Epsom salt &/or DAP.  :) 
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2010, 03:28:28 pm »
Jeff, good point on the Mg, also needed for yeast health, so I have been trying to get at least 10 ppm Mg in the RO water via Epsom Salt additions.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2010, 03:52:19 pm »
I typically use a blend of RO, filtered and/or spring water for water profiling and a little Epsom salt really helps + the beasties do love it. Our beer camp adventure really reinforced the importance of trace minerals & quality wasser.  ;)       
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline alemental

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2010, 03:50:23 pm »
Mine always dissolved. FWIW Servomyces is a huge waste of money. It is a way for you to use yeast nutrients while still sticking to the Reinheitsghebot. Basically it is yeast infused with zinc. I personally rarely use any nutrient except for my starters but when I do I use the Wyeast nutrient - it has zinc and yeast hulls, etc. but is only a fraction of the cost of servo.

I have also been using the Wyeast nutrient, along with some yeast hulls (available from wine making suppliers), because the Wyeast has the zinc and other nutrients as well. My thinking is that the combo of hulls and nutrient gives the best of both worlds.
But, Majorvices, you say that the Wyeast has yeast hulls in it? ( I suspected so from the way it looks) Their website does not list that, at least as far as I have found. Or most of what else goes into it, other than zinc and a couple of other things. Is that info posted somewhere?

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2010, 03:53:36 pm »
I'm pretty sure it has yeast hulls in it already but I could be mistaken.