Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: all foam from keg  (Read 14242 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: all foam from keg
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2011, 12:07:50 am »
You can tap a chilled keg after shaking maybe- 30 minutes. Max the pressure first. It beats down the foam. Wait 20-30 minutes. Just vent it carefully to a few psi and pour. Play with it.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2011, 08:54:50 am »
Just tapped my honey wheat with the 10 ft line, got all foam. BUT, I force carbed it this morning for a cookout tomorrow. First time doing that but I believe the foam is from being agitated. Will have to check tomorrow.

Honey wheat is under carbonated. Guess I don't have the force carbing down either  ;D

New to kegging if you can't tell allready  ;)

Eventually you'll get a feel for it and develop standard practices. Patience malthopper.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline Caddywhompusbeer

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 03:55:50 pm »
Eventually you'll get a feel for it and develop standard practices. Patience malthopper.

I don't mind waiting for a glass of foam to go down...I just get my liter mug and end up with about 12 oz of beer :D. But the other day I poured a glass of IPA for a friend and he poured out all the foam and took the one sip at the bottom. I had to shoot him with my eye lasers.

My honey wheat is still all foam. 10 ft line, 3/16 ID line w/ cobra taps that stay at 38F in the fridge. Anyone have any ideas why I'm still getting all foam?
Alcohol fuels my power cells - Phillip J Fry

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 04:24:36 pm »
OK are you seeing foam in the line as you pour? And how is the foam formed? Is it from a forceful stream of beer? My thoughts are that you are over-carbonated and/or serving at too high of a psi. Maybe your regulator is significantly off. Try dialing it down. Disconnect the keg from pressure. Vent it till it pours better.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Caddywhompusbeer

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 04:39:27 pm »
Theres no foam in the line and it doesn't seem too forceful, definately less with the 10ft line than the 5ft. My regulator is set at 10 psi always, but it could be off like you said. I will try venting & disconnecting from the gas supply later this evening.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

Offline MAnderson

• 1st Kit
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2011, 06:42:14 pm »
Hate to say this, but are you opening the tap all the way when you are pouring beer?

Offline Caddywhompusbeer

• Cellarman
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2011, 07:15:23 pm »
Hate to say this, but are you opening the tap all the way when you are pouring beer?

lol yes. But its a good question since I'm such a keg noob. That was one of the first things I learned.