Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why should I renew my subscription?  (Read 37442 times)

Offline gsandel

• Brewer
  • www.onbeer.blogspot.com
    • On Beer
Re: Why should I renew my subscription?
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2012, 05:05:42 pm »
Now if I can only get them to work on getting better beer at Walt Disney World.  I spent the last week there and the best I could find was a Black and Tan in England at the World Showcase in Epcot.  ( Even the beer at Germany wasn't that great...and that is a sin ).

This is funny, I just read this today:

http://bites.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/03/11519892-where-a-dad-at-disney-gets-a-brew-an-oasis-of-craft-beer

And on topic:  I was the opposite for many years.  I resisted joining the AHA for a number of years, what an idiot I was.  I, too am finding less interest in the magazine articles over time, but I love the ads, and the people of the AHA/BA community and the organization lobbying for craft and home brewing is the real benefit.  Lastly, what other organization are you a member of where the membership tops 30,000 where you have such a voice.  Don't believe for a second that the officers, executive comittee members, and employees of the BA/AHA aren't reading this right now....they care.
You wouldn't believe the things I've seen...

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2012, 01:37:19 am »
A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away I became a member of the AHA.  I wanted to brew good beer, and the AHA was the best (and pretty much only) source of ideas and information in that regard.  And, Charlie was coming to town to proctor a beer judge exam (AHA sponsored - pre-BJCP), so I figured I should join on principal.

Being an engineer and data analysis freak, I recently graphed my 23 year brewing schedule with a Zymurgy delivery layer superimposed on top.  There is a distinct correlation between my receiving my latest issue of Zymurgy, and my brewing schedule.

It was not necessary to perform the analysis to know that I am inspired by contact with my fellow brewers to go out to the shed and brew.  The game's the same as it ever was.  Only some of the names have changed. 
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2012, 04:09:39 pm »
lobbying for craft and home brewing seems to be the biggest reason everyone keeps their subscriptions. With the recent surge of craft and home brewing in the last few years and all the work the AHA has done to change state laws isn't anyone concerned about the gov't taking more notice and possibly implementing taxes on homebrewing? It could happen and who's going to stop the gov't from implementing more taxes? It sure ain't gonna be the AHA... while its a noble cause and I do like seeing laws changed for the better sometimes I wonder if they're bringing to much attention to homebrewing...
Phoenix, AZ

Offline anday6

• Cellarman
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2012, 04:29:51 pm »
How exactly would they take homebrew? It's no different from buying ingredients and cooking. No income to tax...

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2012, 05:10:51 pm »
Given that we've seen things recently like New Jersey abolishing the license that was required to legally homebrew in the state and the expansion of homebrewer's rights in others, I doubt we're looking at a situation of taxation any time soon.

Most people know that the Cranston bill legalized homebrewing on a Federal level, but what most folks don't know is that at the same time there was a competing bill that required a federal permit, ATF inspections and more. (The motivation - the ATF was worried that moonshiners would use homebrewing as legal cover)

If homebrewers managed to kill that in the late 70's with a lot less organization, I think a well organized group like ours should be able to protect us from what would be an oddly small tax to need a large infrastructure for.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline deepsouth

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Brew Maison
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2012, 05:50:38 pm »
i am a member because i am a homebrewer and i think it's good to support the group that supports you.
Hoppy Homebrewers of South Mississippi (est. 2009)

AHA# 196703

bottled:     white house honey ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2012, 11:28:13 am »
The other thing to keep in mind that the BA has continually fought against increased taxation of craft beers.  If it came to homebrew, I have no doubt they would do the same.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2012, 11:52:55 am »
Being an engineer and data analysis freak, I recently graphed my 23 year brewing schedule with a Zymurgy delivery layer superimposed on top.  There is a distinct correlation between my receiving my latest issue of Zymurgy, and my brewing schedule.

May I just say, you have too much time on your hands.

Since you clearly have nothing better to do, you should come and paint my garage.  I'll supply the homebrew. 
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2012, 12:24:46 pm »
I have a similar graph except it involves running out of beer and not a magazine.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2012, 12:45:30 pm »
I personally would be a bit embarrassed to frequently use this forum and not contribute something to it's maintenance. The collective wisdom of the longtime AHA members who contribute to and moderate this forum is more than worth the price of membership.  Also, I've lived in 2 states now where the active efforts of AHA and it's members have made it possible to pursue this hobby legally.

“Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted.”
    -Aldous Huxley
It's like all those people who listen to NPR and never contrib... never mind  :-\ (gotta get that membership up to date as well!)
i agree to this stuff. zymurgy is fun to have and i do think a good centerfold is in order.   fwiw i don't listen to npr though.
Don AHA member

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2012, 03:19:19 pm »
I personally would be a bit embarrassed to frequently use this forum and not contribute something to it's maintenance. The collective wisdom of the longtime AHA members who contribute to and moderate this forum is more than worth the price of membership.  Also, I've lived in 2 states now where the active efforts of AHA and it's members have made it possible to pursue this hobby legally.

“Most human beings have an almost infinite capacity for taking things for granted.”
    -Aldous Huxley
It's like all those people who listen to NPR and never contrib... never mind  :-\ (gotta get that membership up to date as well!)
i agree to this stuff. zymurgy is fun to have and i do think a good centerfold is in order.   fwiw i don't listen to npr though.

I subscribe for what the AHA does at the national level and the magazine doesn't hurt either. 

I am also a member of the 175MM people who listen to NPR each week and I do make a contribution for, basically, the same reasons.  The US "news" services (information entertainment?) suck big time and NPR at least seems to try to present the entire story, most of the time.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #41 on: June 15, 2012, 05:48:50 pm »

Since you clearly have nothing better to do, you should come and paint my garage.  I'll supply the homebrew.

Yer funny Joe... I've spent the last couple days painting around my house...
Phoenix, AZ

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2012, 06:30:31 pm »

It would be cheaper for you to ship your garage here.  My hourly rate is substantial, and I don't fly commercial anymore.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2012, 08:23:53 am »
Perhaps I should just fly out for a consult.

If all goes well, the garage is completed next weekend. But that's not likely.  I need to finish so I can get back to brewing.  I have empty kegs that need to be filled!!!
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton