Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experimental Hop X-369?  (Read 2810 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Experimental Hop X-369?
« on: September 12, 2011, 07:11:08 am »
We stopped at the Bell's Genaral Store yesterday as we needed a break from driving.  They had done their homebrew expo the day before - and we were not able to attend.  On sale were quantities of an experiemental hop with the code X-369.  It was called "Son of Simcoe" by the store manager. 

Bells had a beer on tap at the Cafe called "Dear Liza", termed an Experimental Pale on the chalkboard.  I was told that this beer had been brewed with the X-369 as a whirlpool addition (the only addition - I have done this for one beers).  We agreed that it was similar to Simcoe in flavors and aroma, but the pine was subdued, and the cat pee was absent.  My wife liked it, as she does not like Simcoe due to the strong cat pee she gets from it.  Some of this difference might be from the hopping technique, I don't know yet.

I ended up with a pound of X-369.  That will be used in the pale ale recipe that we evaluate a new hop with.  If nobody has input on this, I will report back in a few months with what we think about X-369.

On a side note, the Quinannon Falls lager is Pilsner like, but at 6.5% ABV, and made with American hops, it would not be to style.  I liked it a lot.  The hops reminded me of Crystal or Mt. Hood.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline james

• Brewer
Re: Experimental Hop X-369?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 09:16:33 am »
I've only heard of X-369 in relation to another IPA Widmer is coming out with, I'd guess next in their rotator line.  I think whoever is distribution the hops must be renaming them to be more interesting since usually the breeding programs have such a large number of trials that a 3 digit number just wouldn't cut it.  For example U9403-131 became Mt. Rainier in year 6 of field trials

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 09:27:11 am »
IIRC, Centennial was originally CFJ69.  There seem to be a LOT of new hop varieties under development at the moment.  We're planning a seminar on them at next summer's NHC.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 09:44:38 am »
IIRC, Centennial was originally CFJ69.  There seem to be a LOT of new hop varieties under development at the moment.  We're planning a seminar on them at next summer's NHC.

Looking forward to that one!

A search shows that Dogfish Head and Boston Beer Co. used X-369 for a collaboration beer that will be coming out.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 01:24:56 pm »
If you don't mind me asking, how much was the pound? Were these 2011 hops or last years?
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 01:32:27 pm »
The 8 oz. package was $8.  I bought 2 for the pound.  It was a little more in the smaller size.

The "Dear Liza" has been on tap for a little while, I think.  I would bet these were 2010, and they cleared out the remainders by selling to the homebrewers.  If they were 2011, it would be  tight timing to get the beer out.  But then again, I didn't ask.

These were sold vacuum packed.  They should last a while.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 01:35:08 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild