Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dried Apricot  (Read 6245 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Dried Apricot
« on: July 29, 2011, 07:59:36 am »
I have a wheat beer just finishing up fermentation and a friend's wife asked if I could make her some apricot wheat.  She's not a beer drinker (wine snob) and she doesn't drink much beer but she heard wanted to try something in a gateway beer so 1 gal will be enough and coincidentally, I just picked up a couple 1 gal jugs.

But, apricot puree and fresh apricots are both hard to find but I can get dried apricots easily.  I was wondering about adding dried apricots to a cup of water and bringing it all to a boil to sterilize and then letting them soak a bit to take in some water.  Then, I was thinking into the food processor and make a puree to add.  What do you think?  Would this work?  How much?  I read 3 lbs for 5 gallons so I'm thinking that a 1/2 lb would probably do it assuming that it's more concentrated being dried.

Please give me your thoughts.
Thanks

Offline tallcall

• 1st Kit
Re: Dried Apricot
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 08:32:04 am »
I think the problem might be that most dried apricots are sulfured before they are dried. It keeps the color and helps preserve them.Not sure what the sulfur will do for your beer.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 09:51:47 am »
I think the problem might be that most dried apricots are sulfured before they are dried. It keeps the color and helps preserve them.Not sure what the sulfur will do for your beer.

+1, the sulphur was the first thing I thought of too
Joe

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 11:17:22 am »
Sigh....  why is nothing simple in this hobby?

If I can find canned apricots, do you envision any problems?  I'm asking Mrs. gmac to look when she gets groceries this afternoon.  Or, do you suggest an alternative (not raspberry)?  Would peaches work?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 01:29:30 pm »
peaches might work but it's kind of a delicate flavour. do you have a healthfood type store near  you? the will often have unsulfered dried fruits as well as the bright orange ones. The unsulfered ones are ussualy dark brown. tasty though. I think I would try to figure out a way to sterilize without water, maybe just micro waving them or giving them a little bake. or even better seal them in heat tolerant plastic and pasteurize in water.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 01:49:43 pm »
if you find the unsulphered apricots, which you can do, may have to order online, put them in some 180F water for about 5-10m then start pulsing that in a food processor until you have a really chunky puree... then add it to secondary.
Phoenix, AZ

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 01:59:59 pm »
if you find the unsulphered apricots, which you can do, may have to order online, put them in some 180F water for about 5-10m then start pulsing that in a food processor until you have a really chunky puree... then add it to secondary.
What if you used some of the beer from the secondary instead of water?  Would the lower pH help extract more fruit flavor?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 03:25:30 pm »
What if you used some of the beer from the secondary instead of water?  Would the lower pH help extract more fruit flavor?

+1

I think a puree would be the way to go with apricots, it would lend the most extraction of flavor.
Ron Price

Offline EHall

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 03:44:01 pm »
I was suggesting a way to go so he could both sanitize and get the best extraction out of them. I guess he could put them in the hot water for 5-10 min, then strain them, put them and some brew in the food processor then puree...
Phoenix, AZ

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 04:32:47 pm »
I'm philosophically opposed to health food stores (sorry Mort, you seem like a very nice guy...) so I went with 2, 14 oz cans of apricots in syrup.  Gonna do a quick puree, add them and see what happens.  Total shot in the dark but the syrup will likely kick start a new fermentation.  May do one can and see how they turn out and then add the 2nd if needed. 
Thanks all for your thoughts.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2011, 08:40:28 am »
Sulfured? if you can't taste them on dried apricots (and I eat those occasionally) why would you taste it in the beer? I say give it a go and report back. Doesn't seem like anyone has actually tried it.

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2011, 06:22:36 pm »
Major, I will try it next time.
I put the 14 oz can of apricots in the sanitized food processor and into the beer. How long do you recommend leaving them to sit?  Its only 1 gal so I'm hoping a few days are enough but I don't know.
Thanks

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 06:30:39 am »
Update:  Don't use pureed canned apricots unless you've got a way to get them out of the beer!!!

They never settled out and when I bottled, each bottle got a generous amount of apricot "floaties".  I didn't worry too much because I figured they'd settle out in the bottles.  But, it seems that the little apricot pieces are great nucleation points for CO2.  Everyone immediately foamed over upon opening.  There was only 1/3 of the beer left in the bottle by the time the foaming was done. 

I don't think it was bacterial or anything because the taste is nice and I bottled a bunch of other beer that same day and they are perfect. 

If you want to make apricot volcanoes, go for it but next time I'm gonna "juice" them first and get out as much pulp as I can.