Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Adding yeast at bottling  (Read 4371 times)

Offline mrbounds

• Cellarman
Adding yeast at bottling
« on: August 16, 2011, 05:30:44 am »
Hi everyone,

So my old ale is going to get bottled this coming weekend and I think the concensus from my other posts is to add yeast at bottling to ensure adequate carbonation but I have a question....
I typically add the priming sugar to each individual bottle (I had issues in the past with uneven carbonation which have since gone away with this method) so can I add the yeast into the same sugar solution? The sugar solution is typically for my english ales about 2 - 2.5 oz table sugar in about 500ml of water I then dispense this out to each bottle with a syringe will the sugar solution shock the yeast? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Oh I bought some US05 for the botlling.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Adding yeast at bottling
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 05:40:18 am »
I think I'd still mix the yeast into the beer in the bottling bucket.  I think it'll be easier to distribute throughout the beer that way by mixing it up as it's transferring. 
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline liquidbrewing

• Brewer
  • OG - FG x 131= ABV%
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 07:35:02 am »
Yeah.  Add it to the bottling bucket.  The last Barleywine I did, I added the yeast and sugar to the keg, shook it up good, then hooked up my beer gun and bottled it.  Every one carbed up the same, that I drank.  I've only got about 10 bottles left from bottling it in January of this year.  Turned out nice.
Justin
Liquid Brewing, Co.
"Find Your Own Level"

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 10:03:05 am »
what's your OG?

i'm curious about what scenario pitching more yeast at bottling should be done.  I'm fermenting an iipa(1.090) and wonder if i should consider this.

cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 12:07:59 pm »
For high gravity beers, I recommend adding more yeast during priming, as the primary yeast has been stressed and some of it has died due to the high ABV.

It also depends on how long the beer has been on the primary yeast cake. The longer the beer sits on the yeast, the more potential for the yeast to drop out of suspension.
Ron Price

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 12:16:39 pm »
Yeah.  Add it to the bottling bucket.  The last Barleywine I did, I added the yeast and sugar to the keg, shook it up good, then hooked up my beer gun and bottled it.  Every one carbed up the same, that I drank.  I've only got about 10 bottles left from bottling it in January of this year.  Turned out nice.

Liquid. Perhaps others have though of this as well but I had not and I think it's a brilliant way to bottle for conditioning in the bottle. It totally eliminates worry about uneven distribution of the sugar without worries about oxegenation. I am doing that with my next bottle conditioned beer!
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce