Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: smoking wood  (Read 10370 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
smoking wood
« on: August 27, 2011, 01:26:11 pm »
Where do you guys usually source your wood, and what do you pay?  I went to a new butcher yesterday looking for some pink salt, and they were selling a bunch of different wood varieties.  I picked up 2 cuft of pecan wood for $25, it seemed like a reasonable price to me but I'm not sure.  The local wood (apple, cherry, etc) was a lot cheaper, $15 for 2 cuft.  It's not chunk, it's more like logs.  I'll just hack it up with a chop saw to use in the UDS.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: smoking wood
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 01:33:08 pm »
I smoke with kiawe (Hawaiian mesquite), ohia (endemic) and waiwi (invasive strawberry guava).  I cut all three myself.  My cost is in gasoline for my truck and chainsaw.

When I lived in Orlando I had oak trees in my yard.  I cut oak for smoking.  Man I miss those oak trees sometimes.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 01:58:16 pm »
I just bought three bags of alder chips from the outdoor kitchen store at $5.95 per bag.  Each bag is 180 cubic inches and weighs between 1.5 and 1.7 pounds.
I found this site that has pretty much the same thing a bit less expensive, but then there's shipping:
www.northwoodssmoke.com
I have a lot of citrus in my yard which is nice and much cheaper, but it's hard to chop up.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 02:10:28 pm »
I have sourced some from here, located in PA.
http://www.chuckssmokehouse.com/SMOKIN_STIXS_s/26.htm

This is a little closer to Tom, in Yakima, WA.  Have bought from them also.
http://www.barbecuewood.com/StoreFront.bok

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 02:31:28 pm »
If you want fruit wood for free go to you local orchard and ask them when they prune their trees. Then just pick up a truck load full, more than you could probably use.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2011, 02:35:55 pm »
I use the pecan-wood that falls off the tree in the back-yard. Otherwise It's hickory (yum!) or oak. Mesquite isn't all that great for smoking but still works.

I pay less than $5 for 720 cubic inches of chunk at the local grocer.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2011, 02:38:29 pm »
If you want fruit wood for free go to you local orchard and ask them when they prune their trees. Then just pick up a truck load full, more than you could probably use.

Which around here means a lot of apple.  Could get some peach over on the west side of the state.

For other fruit woods such as citrus, I have to order on line. 

Not much alder grows around here.   ;)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2011, 04:22:48 pm »
At work, all I can handle, free. Apple, cherry, maple, hickory, oak, etc. Currently working for a tree service company... Will have a lifetime supply soon...  ;D
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 02:08:35 am »
Awesome, thanks guys.

Thanks for this Jeff.  http://www.barbecuewood.com/StoreFront.bok  I'm pretty sure that is the guy that offered to make me dust for my cold smoker, I just need to send him a sample.

I love the orchard idea, that is an easy hookup on the stuff that grows around here.  That's not pecan though. :)  Apple I can get off my own tree, and a few other fruit woods as the trees get older.  If I want citrus and other non-local wood though, I'm SOL without a source.  Based on what I've seen, $25 for 2 cuft is a reasonable price.  I'll have to go back and see what else they have, I need to make more bacon anyway.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 02:49:40 am »
Jeeze, I've got more smoking hardwood than I can ever use.  I keep my bee hives in a kiawe "forest" where I  am encouraged to cut as much deadfall as I can haul away. You guys talk about buying smoking wood by the cubic inch, at obscene prices.  I'd send it to you by the cubic yard if shipping costs weren't such a bee itch.  Maybe it might be cost effective anyway?

These days when I grill I use an all wood fire most of the time.  It takes longer than charcoal, but I enjoy it a whole lot more, and I think the flavors are far superior to charcoal.

Football season is almost upon us!  Football season = grilling season!

I see the topic for a new thread...
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 06:10:56 am »
I live in a mountain forest off hickory trees so that is never a problem. I grow a couple of small citrus trees in my solarium but never used them for smoking. What types of food do they work best with? I'm thinking trout?

Anyone ever try smoking with sassafras? I burned some a couple years ago and I thought the aroma from the wood was very pleasant.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 06:55:32 am »
I live in a mountain forest off hickory trees so that is never a problem. I grow a couple of small citrus trees in my solarium but never used them for smoking. What types of food do they work best with? I'm thinking trout?

Anyone ever try smoking with sassafras? I burned some a couple years ago and I thought the aroma from the wood was very pleasant.
Sassafras didn't have the flavor that the smoke indicated.
Persimmon on the other hand, was excellent.

Both were used on pork tenderlion.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 07:39:39 am »
Thanks - I have a bunch of persimmon trees out there as well. Gonna give that a try!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 11:50:37 am »
I've used fruit wood on cheese, that's it.

I've got all of the maple I can ever use, but the rest of the common trees around here aren't suitable for smoking food.  Douglas fir, cedar, that kind of stuff.  I might try some juniper next time I prune the trees.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 01:03:26 pm »
Try talking to some of the local BBQ or wood oven pizza joints in your area. I'm sure they have local sources that they may be willing to recommend. Also try some of the local guys selling firewood. I get all of my smoking wood from a local guy who sells firewood. He happens to also sell hickory, apple, oak and cherry. I can get a stack for $10. A stack is enough for about 5 smokes.
Ron Price