Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: smoking wood  (Read 10368 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: smoking wood
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2011, 01:18:24 pm »
I'm not sure juniper would be good as a smoking wood. Seems it would be very resinous.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2011, 02:06:35 pm »
Try talking to some of the local BBQ or wood oven pizza joints in your area. I'm sure they have local sources that they may be willing to recommend. Also try some of the local guys selling firewood. I get all of my smoking wood from a local guy who sells firewood. He happens to also sell hickory, apple, oak and cherry. I can get a stack for $10. A stack is enough for about 5 smokes.
Great idea Ron, I'll have to poke around.  How much do you go through for a smoke?  With the UDS I only go through about half a log and have a nice intense smoke.  The 2 cuft of pecan I got should last me for 50 or more smokes I think, but I haven't counted the logs.

I just but on 20 lbs of pork shoulder a couple of hours ago . . .

Tom Schmidlin

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2011, 02:08:33 pm »
I'm not sure juniper would be good as a smoking wood. Seems it would be very resinous.
You might be right, but apparently it's traditional in some cases:
http://www.wedlinydomowe.com/meat-smoking/wood
"Some sausages like German or Polish Hunter Sausages develop their characteristic flavors and aromas by adding juniper branches or berries to the fire. Juniper is the main ingredient for making gin, so we know it has to be a fine element. "
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2011, 02:49:56 pm »
I'd forgotten about that badass site. Thanks Tom.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2011, 03:34:22 pm »
Yeah, good site. :)  I was inspired by the amount of wood Ron seems to go through, so I tossed some more on the smoker for the shoulders that are going now.  You can't see much, but enough . . .

Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2011, 03:55:42 pm »
Yeah, good site. :)  I was inspired by the amount of wood Ron seems to go through, so I tossed some more on the smoker for the shoulders that are going now.  You can't see much, but enough . . .

Mmmmm, I'll be there in a few minutes!  I've got the beverages covered!   ;D
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2011, 04:02:23 pm »
Mmmmm, I'll be there in a few minutes!  I've got the beverages covered!   ;D
Sounds good, it should be ready when you get here.  It's at 139F now :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2011, 06:18:22 pm »

Man that's making me hungry and I just had dinner.  :)

Tom, it really depends on how hot you want it. The hotter the smoke, the more wood you'll need. The other factor is the intensity or level of smoke during the burn. There is an air/smoke ratio which is determined by the amount of air you let in and out of your smoker. You will have to adjust your dampers by trial/error to determine the right settings for different temps. It will depend on several factors like the placement of the dampers, the thermal energy source, the amount of oxygen present, etc... It's an experience factor as well.

The most important thing is to enjoy the hobby and reap the rewards of your labors.  :)

Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2011, 11:24:54 pm »
I have no problem controlling the temp in the UDS with the damper and air inlets, it's pretty rock solid.  But I usually am burning charcoal and just throw a few chunks on top for the smoke, I was just trying to figure out how much you use for smoke.  I've only used one smallish log for this smoke, which is twice as much as I normally use, and 2 cuft is a lot more than 5 or 10 logs.  You pay $10 for a stack that lasts 5 smokes, but I don't know how big a stack is, that's what I'm trying to figure out.

I still have a ways to go with this smoke, the meat is at 177F on its way to 195F.  I had it low and slow at ~215 for about 10 hours, then got it up to around 250F to finish.  Another couple of hours I imagine.  I'll post pics, but I'm not opening it right now.  :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2011, 06:13:14 am »
Not much grows out here for that purpose. There is a small
amount of available apple/crabapple wood, some wild plum...then
you need to find some to purchase if those don't work....
OTOH you find your smoker sitting out back unused for years
like mine was, you may as well $ell it for better usage of it's value.

Cap asked in the hurricane thread about what kind of tree is down
near his yard...looked kinda like eucalyptus but I am not certain...
help a brewer out...ID cap's tree.

Seems like since I stopped cigarette smoking, that smoky flavored meat
is not real far up the desire tree.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2011, 07:09:45 am »
You pay $10 for a stack that lasts 5 smokes, but I don't know how big a stack is, that's what I'm trying to figure out.

This is about the size of a $10 stack. Notice there are several stacks in the photo.

Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2011, 11:59:37 am »
You pay $10 for a stack that lasts 5 smokes, but I don't know how big a stack is, that's what I'm trying to figure out.

This is about the size of a $10 stack. Notice there are several stacks in the photo.
Ok, so you're using about four times as much wood as I normally do.  Good to know as a point of reference.

By the way, here are the shoulders when they were done.  It was late, I took the pics but didn't bother posting them.  It took 14-15 hours to smoke them to 195.

Sorry about the bad lighting in this one.

Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2011, 12:27:50 pm »
When's dinner Tom? :D

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2011, 04:01:13 pm »
In a week :)  I'm going to pull it and freeze it and then throw it in the slow cooker next Sunday for sandiwches.  We're having a bbq to celebrate my completing my PhD.  I got an email an hour ago with the title "Doctoral degree approved" ;D

I had to cook it all early because we have too many things going on this week and weekend, plus I have a lot more stuff I plan to smoke for the bbq.  At least 2 fatties, a bunch of ABTs, a few chickens, sausages, etc.  And I have to keg 20 gallons of beer before then . . . assuming it finishes fermenting. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2011, 07:17:11 pm »
I got an email an hour ago with the title "Doctoral degree approved" ;D

Way to go Tom!

Conrats...time to celebrate!  8)
Ron Price