Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash time variance?  (Read 2289 times)

Offline jkmarvin

• 1st Kit
Mash time variance?
« on: August 28, 2011, 03:34:02 pm »
Why is there such a wide variance on mash times.  I am doing an esb with 10.5 pounds of grain.  Beer smith says hold for 45 min.  Then I look it up in one of Mosher's book (as well as others) and he says 2.5 hours.  When I was at the Pike Brewery they hold there Mash for 20-30 min.  Why such a wide variable on holding the mash times?

Cheers

Offline jkmarvin

• 1st Kit
Re: Mash time variance?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 03:35:22 pm »
Sorry doing a one step single infusion at 158f.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 03:43:20 pm »
I always mash for at least an hour just to be safe.  I believe most conversion will take place in 30 min, but I would rather be safe than ruin a batch.  I'm sure others will chime in with more techninal data and I believe there was an experiment not too long ago that deals with topic.
Dan Chisholm

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 03:51:20 pm »
Don't rely on pro-brewers mash times unless you fully understand their process.  Many brewers mash for a time, then recirculate for a time, then sparge for a time, and they are still getting conversion.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 05:09:15 pm »
Don't rely on pro-brewers mash times unless you fully understand their process.  Many brewers mash for a time, then recirculate for a time, then sparge for a time, and they are still getting conversion.
+1

Time and Temp determine a mash profile.  Both are important.
You should start with what works for you, and then make alterations to suit changes that you want to make.

That said, "Conversion" from starch to sugar occurs quickly, but that is not the only changes that occur.

Long chain, non-fermentable, sugars are reduced to more fermentable sugars.  Both time and temp affect this process.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 06:18:44 pm »
Many pro breweries mash in for a long time compared to what we do.  Conversion it taking place as the grain  and water are mixed going into the mash tun.  Then they start the mash out (if they do one).  Sparging to the kettle takes more time   Many als use a "hot" base malt with a high Diastatic Power, around 140 lintner or more.   Ask the pros what they would do for a Munich Dunkel with a low diastatic malt like 100% dark munich.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 09:50:03 am »
As great a program as Bersmith is, DON'T let IT tell YOU what to do.  Its purpose is to help you do what you want to do.  Don't blindly follow the recommendations that Beersmith (or ANY brewing software) makes.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 09:56:59 am »
As great a program as Bersmith is, DON'T let IT tell YOU what to do.  Its purpose is to help you do what you want to do.  Don't blindly follow the recommendations that Beersmith (or ANY brewing software) makes.

I view the numbers BeerSmith recommends as just the default placeholder, not the recommended time. Just a number stuck in there until you tell it what you want it to do.
Tulsa, OK

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 10:05:01 am »
+1
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)