Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: American Farmhouse Blend yeast WLP670  (Read 3202 times)

Offline eltharyon

• Cellarman
    • Barefoot Lion Brewing
American Farmhouse Blend yeast WLP670
« on: August 22, 2011, 05:04:50 pm »
Ok so I dropped the ball and missed this seasonal.  Then I taste a saison made with it and it was incredible.

Any suggestions to get close to this blend?

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
Re: American Farmhouse Blend yeast WLP670
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 08:53:50 am »
I have a few vials waiting to use for a saison I have in mind, I just don't have any open carboys or fermenters at the moment. Good problem to have. I am excited to use it!

Without knowing exactly the yeast, since it is proprietary, my best guess is use White Labs Saison I (duPont) and then pitch Brett. Bruxellensis (orval) at the same time as the initial pitch.  You could either get a vial of the Brett or pitch a couple of dregs of Orval bottles into the fermenter.  Or you could wait to pitch the Brett after primary fermentation is complete.  Is seems like a lot of probrewers prefer Brett. anomalus, but I have not seen that on a homebrew scale.  So, it could be that strain a well?  It is reported to be one of Tomme Arthur's Lost Abbey farmhouse ale strains, so if you can get your hands on a bottle you may also be able to build it up to a pitchable size.

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 09:02:25 am »
Make your own!

Just buy up a few bottles of farmhouse ales from breweries you like, culture the yeast from the bottle, and add them together in a starter. Every few months, pour off the supernate and feed it a cup or two of fresh wort.

I suggest using Jolly Pumpkin and Lost Abbey (if you can get it).

Making your own "house" strain is a great avenue on so many levels:

1. Its completely unique to your brewery
2. You have an excuse to try several different commerical beers (normally too pricy to buy on a reg basis)
3. You'll have excess culture to "experiment" with... add it to 2nd runnings or a poorly attenuated brew.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline eltharyon

• Cellarman
    • Barefoot Lion Brewing
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 03:08:24 pm »
Actually its funny I was listening to the Beer for Boobs episode of the BN, and guess what they were talking about. 

The American Farmhouse blend is basically Lost Abbey, they even had the endorsement from Tommy Authur.

I also have the Jolly Pumpkin culture growing, as well as RR Sanctification. 

Offline roffenburger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 08:45:10 am »
Make your own!

Just buy up a few bottles of farmhouse ales from breweries you like, culture the yeast from the bottle, and add them together in a starter. Every few months, pour off the supernate and feed it a cup or two of fresh wort.

I suggest using Jolly Pumpkin and Lost Abbey (if you can get it).

Making your own "house" strain is a great avenue on so many levels:

1. Its completely unique to your brewery
2. You have an excuse to try several different commerical beers (normally too pricy to buy on a reg basis)
3. You'll have excess culture to "experiment" with... add it to 2nd runnings or a poorly attenuated brew.
It takes a long long time for a yeast strain to mutate and take on different characteristics. If you're looking to take on characteristics of both yeast I believe it's best to culture them separate and add them both to the fermenter. Over several months, one yeast strain will likely out compete the other in the method you described.
Travis R.