Author Topic: Squash Time (New pics)  (Read 7485 times)

Offline 1vertical

• Brewmaster General
  • [1131.2, 279.6] Apparent Rennerian
    • View Profile
Re: Squash Time (pic)
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 05:49:20 AM »
I might try that grated and caramelized idea.  Cheers.

+1 pinnah  We don;t grate em but slice em 1/8  inch thick rounds and carmelize those
that method requires a lot of attendance and stirring but is well worth the effort. As you see
the skillet contact area toasting brown, flip em over and over and over and over...et al...
pretty soon they get sweet and very yummy. And put some cracked black pepper in the mix...
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • View Profile
    • My Job
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 06:28:11 AM »
I might try that grated and caramelized idea.  Cheers.

+1 pinnah  We don;t grate em but slice em 1/8  inch thick rounds and carmelize those
that method requires a lot of attendance and stirring but is well worth the effort. As you see
the skillet contact area toasting brown, flip em over and over and over and over...et al...
pretty soon they get sweet and very yummy. And put some cracked black pepper in the mix...

Why not confit? slice super thin, layer into a baking dish and cap with duck fat. Cook looooow and slooow. No idea if it would actually work, of course.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 10:22:51 AM »
As big as that one is, you could caramelize some, make some confit, and make a few loaves of zucchini bread. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 10:33:46 AM »
....and give some to the chickens ::)  They really are a fantastic plant.

How about Delicata squash.  Anybody grow that one?  Really nice nutty flavor, supposed to be a winter squash but I am eating the first of mine right now.  Nice to go out to the garden for dinner.

Offline Slowbrew

• Senior Brewmaster
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 11:32:36 AM »
My wife slices zucchini into 1/4" rounds, breads them with egg wash and crushed crackers, fries them till the outside is a bit crisp (in lard, of course) and sprinkles brown sugar over them.  The kids will founder on it if you let them.  My littlest one called them zu-candy.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline 1vertical

• Brewmaster General
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 11:41:42 AM »
Since this thread took off, Maybe the mods would agree it should be in the food section. ???

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2011, 11:44:20 AM »
i just had a fondue with the kids. had some zuc sliced in to 2 inch long strips.  deep fried in oil. top thing on the table
Don AHA member

Offline euge

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2011, 08:05:05 PM »
These are the types commonly available in the store here. A far cry from Dave's yeller scrotum squash.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2011, 08:19:44 PM »
I used some of the yellow squash and some zuccs in the "ratatouille" tonight.  With some tomatoes, walla walla, eggplant, fresh basil and thyme and a little dried parsley because those plants aren't looking too hot.  And of course garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil.

It was pretty good just like that.   But it was even better with some habanero garlic pepper sprinkled on top. ;D

We'll make it again.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2011, 09:13:07 PM »
A far cry from Dave's yeller scrotum squash.

:D, I am thinking Vert has a mess of warty crookneck there.  They don't sell with the masses.

Offline 1vertical

• Brewmaster General
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2011, 09:39:27 PM »
I am bettin...Them ones in Euge's pic are like hothouse maters...just not the same as heirloom garden grown... ;D

Offline euge

• Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2011, 09:58:23 PM »
I am bettin...Them ones in Euge's pic are like hothouse maters...just not the same as heirloom garden grown... ;D

Probably why I don't care for them as I think they are bland, though squash will pick up flavor if stewed in/with something else. Never had home-grown squash. Maybe I'll grown some next year just for the challenge. What ya'll are describing sounds good.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • View Profile
    • My Job
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2011, 11:02:35 PM »
I used some of the yellow squash and some zuccs in the "ratatouille" tonight.  With some tomatoes, walla walla, eggplant, fresh basil and thyme and a little dried parsley because those plants aren't looking too hot.  And of course garlic, salt, pepper, and olive oil.

It was pretty good just like that.   But it was even better with some habanero garlic pepper sprinkled on top. ;D

We'll make it again.

see? easy! no fancy techniques needed.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2011, 11:18:52 PM »
Yeah, but how can you go wrong sauteing fresh veggies in olive oil with herbs added?  That doesn't mean it was anything that a French person would recognize as ratatouille.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• Estilo Casero
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2011, 11:32:32 PM »
According to wikipedia it's more like a technique with tomatoes as "a key ingredient".