Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chilling the wort......  (Read 6002 times)

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Chilling the wort......
« on: August 29, 2011, 11:40:01 am »
Here's the mission: (10 gallon batches)

After the boil I want the wort out of the BK, and into a chiller asap. (Doing multiple batches and tying up the BK slows me down.)
Also, I want the chiller to be fast, and have a conical bottom so I can easily separate the wort from the trub, with a minimum of loss. The outlet of the BK is about 20" above the ground so we will have to go "uphill"....

Ideally, I would pump it into a stainless, jacketed, 15 gallon conical vessel, with chilled water/glycol running through the jacket.....

Problems.....

Temperature. Is there a pump that can handle 200º wort? How about hoses?

Cost.....

I have found plastic conical vessels, but they are good for 140-170º and I hate pushing the limit on that.....never knows what end up in your beer.....

Thoughts?
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Chilling the wort......
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 11:43:32 am »
You could do all of that oscar . . . or you could just get another boil kettle.  I think I know what I would do. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 11:49:20 am »
I can't lift a 100 pound 200º BK and move it around....So, what you're saying is I need to put a third burner with Keggle on my rig? Hmmmmmm..........

Meanwhile.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACTIVEAQUA-WATER-CHILLER-1-10-HP-93-GAL-TANKS-RES-/360173311062?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53dc009456#ht_552wt_1348

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 12:06:29 pm »
I wouldn't advise moving a full kettle!  Yes, I meant adding a burner and keggle.

With the chiller you linked to I'd worry about the temp going in and the capacity - "35 gallons-30 deg F pull down temp "

30F lower isn't going to be enough.

You could always get a big old plate chiller . . .
Tom Schmidlin

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 12:52:56 pm »
And an ice tub and a circulation pump..... have any good links for a good plate chiller?

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 02:11:01 pm »
OK, some more thoughts, some more questions.

When the wort cools, undisturbed the hops and hot an cold break all sit nicely in the bottom as the green spooge layer (hops, pellets no bag) and the protein.....lets say it looks like cauliflower. The wort is nice and clear.

If I were to, immediately after flameout, run the wort through a plate chiller, whilst stirring so everything goes through there, and then into a conical vessel and let it sit, would, at the lower temperature the hops and proteins still settle out?

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 02:15:34 pm »
OK, some more thoughts, some more questions.

When the wort cools, undisturbed the hops and hot an cold break all sit nicely in the bottom as the green spooge layer (hops, pellets no bag) and the protein.....lets say it looks like cauliflower. The wort is nice and clear.

If I were to, immediately after flameout, run the wort through a plate chiller, whilst stirring so everything goes through there, and then into a conical vessel and let it sit, would, at the lower temperature the hops and proteins still settle out?

Yes, they'd settle out IF they made it to the conical.  Heard of plenty of problems with spooge (great term) clogging a plate chiller.
Joe

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 02:19:32 pm »
I guess I don't understand what the problem is - if you use a (CFC or PC) + Pump, you can be chilled and in the fermenter in <10min for a 10gal batch.  Are you running that tight a ship that 10min is crucial?

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 09:33:32 am »
I guess I don't understand what the problem is - if you use a (CFC or PC) + Pump, you can be chilled and in the fermenter in <10min for a 10gal batch.  Are you running that tight a ship that 10min is crucial?

No, right now it's taking an hour plus. And, I end up throwing out a gallon of wort in the bottom of the keggle to keep out the trub. So, I'm solving two problems at once....

Clogging a plate chiller is not something I want to experience....

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 10:30:39 am »

No, right now it's taking an hour plus. And, I end up throwing out a gallon of wort in the bottom of the keggle to keep out the trub. So, I'm solving two problems at once....

Clogging a plate chiller is not something I want to experience....

The way to avoid clogging the chiller is to whirlpool (which I believe Paul does) for about ten minutes prior to chilling. This will add ten more minutes to the process but will avoid clogging the chiller.
Ron Price

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 11:56:25 am »
March hi-temp pumps are supposed to handle 250* & Duda Diesel makes some sweet chillers.

http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=HX1240BWC
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 02:24:32 pm by Kit B »

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 01:58:22 pm »
Homebrewers march pump.
Duda diesel for plate chillers.
Whirlpool for 10 minutes let settle for 10 minutes.
You could also use a strainer before chiller.
Those are about $150 thou.

The last thing. More sophisticated equipment you have
more time you will spend cleaning it.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 12:54:37 pm »
OK, ordered a stainless conical vessel with lid today..... Will give it legs, the mother of all cooing coils inside and a dump valve at the bottom. Get the march pump to pump wort from BK to WC (Wort Cooler) right at flame out. Cool and drain the trub from the bottom of the cone, then fill the buckets....meanwhile the BK has been rinsed out and is receiving the next batch. I should be able to take 2-3 hours off my double-double batch brew day......
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 01:01:23 pm by oscarvan »

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2011, 02:26:04 pm »

The way to avoid clogging the chiller is to whirlpool (which I believe Paul does) for about ten minutes prior to chilling. This will add ten more minutes to the process but will avoid clogging the chiller.

Often I whirlpool while I'm chilling with the thermenator.  The wort in the pot is still around 200 degrees so I have no issues keeping the beer swirling with a stainless spoon for most of the chill untill there's just a little beer left.

A hopback such as the Blichmann Hop Rocket can also be used to keep gook out of the plate chiller.
James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2011, 02:54:09 pm »
OK, ordered a stainless conical vessel with lid today..... Will give it legs, the mother of all cooing coils inside and a dump valve at the bottom. Get the march pump to pump wort from BK to WC (Wort Cooler) right at flame out. Cool and drain the trub from the bottom of the cone, then fill the buckets....meanwhile the BK has been rinsed out and is receiving the next batch. I should be able to take 2-3 hours off my double-double batch brew day......

If I read this right, you are buying a conical simply to cool wort? there are much cheaper (and easier to clean/sanitize) ways to chill wort than that.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281