Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Non-alcohol beer  (Read 1463 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Non-alcohol beer
« on: August 29, 2011, 12:53:16 pm »
Any have a recipe for a non-alcohol brew?  I looked up one in back issues of BYO that had the beer placed in an oven for a while and then carbonated.  Anyone ever try this?  I'm looking to make some non-alcohol beer for a friend that can't have alcohol due to a heart condition and he asked if I could make non-alcohol beer that actually tested something like beer. 

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Non-alcohol beer
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 01:06:32 pm »
Any have a recipe for a non-alcohol brew?  I looked up one in back issues of BYO that had the beer placed in an oven for a while and then carbonated.  Anyone ever try this?  I'm looking to make some non-alcohol beer for a friend that can't have alcohol due to a heart condition and he asked if I could make non-alcohol beer that actually tested something like beer. 

I don't think the oven thing would really remove all or even most of the alcohol. I read an article recently about boiling off alcohol in food and the results were that it takes like 1.5 hours of simmering to remove 90 percent of the alcohol (numbers are not exact, just from memory)

As I understand it, if you make a 'beer' with continuous aeration as if you were making a big starter you will get mostly just lots of yeast and very little alcohol but I wouldn't swear to it.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 02:55:49 pm »
I don't think its worth the time or effort. If you want something non-alcoholic brew up a batch of iced tea. Way better than non alc. brew.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 03:54:55 pm »
+1. Non-alcocolic beers make me want a beer
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 03:40:37 pm »
alcahol has flavor - remove it and you just can't have the flavor of beer...

When you say no alcahol is there any flexibility? - what about a recipe that came out to around 3% alcahol or less?
James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge