Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Two Day Brew Day  (Read 5770 times)

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Two Day Brew Day
« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2009, 06:48:43 am »
You could also do an overnight mash and eliminate some of the cooling/ reheating and moving stuff around.

i've a friend who often overnight mashes and all his beers end up overattenuating...

I thought about that and added some flaked oats to the mash in my overnight mash hoping it helps a little with that.   :-\

Dextrine malt might be a better solution.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2009, 04:12:25 pm »
I he doing a mash out?
Its a must for over night mashing.

he didn't say - when I mentioned the tips I read in this thread, he told me he's convinced himself its not the time saver he thought it was and has resorted back to a normal continuous brew session.

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline onthekeg

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 07:57:34 pm »
I find you actually spend more time since you have to heat up all the liquor again, where its probably at 150-160 already when you sparge into the kettle.
I have overnight mashed before, but I won't do a 2 day brew.  It seems to take me another 1-2 hours when you break up the day like that.

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2010, 08:25:40 am »
The longest I have gone between mash and boil is about 3-4 hours. On big brew day in May I heat up my mash
water and start the mash load everying into the truck and hit the road. En route mash! Get there set up heat
batch sparge and go...I have contemplated the overnight but always just defer to the loss of heat between steps. It
may allow for two shorter brew sessions but higher cost in the long run as onthekeg pointed out...
Ruben * Colorado :)