Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewery Mechanicals  (Read 2452 times)

Offline toddster

• Cellarman
Brewery Mechanicals
« on: November 15, 2011, 08:15:55 am »
I thought I would start a thread on how your brewery works. I've been in the trades for a long time and own a mechanical contracting company. We do steam boilers, HVAC and plumbing.

First Equipment.  When you get ready to start building a brewery is to know that what you use at home. Your not going to be able to use in the commercial world. Just because it works in WA doesn't mean in MN you can use it. The local inspectors will tell you what you can and can't do. They tell you what goes on, you tell them nothing.

Second. You get what you paid for. That really cheap boiler from south of the boarder isn't going to work when it comes off the ship and will take more time and money to fix than a new one.

Third. Contractors don't work for free and neither do their employees. Just because you want to work for next to nothing doesn't mean the guys welding the steam header do. It costs a lot to run a business, much more than you think.

Forth. Engineer, hire one if your building from scratch, the best way is to buy a complete system from a dealer. One that will provide what we call as shop drawings i.e.  schematics for piping and electrical.

Good Luck!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Brewery Mechanicals
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2011, 11:17:16 am »
I thought I would start a thread on how your brewery works. I've been in the trades for a long time and own a mechanical contracting company. We do steam boilers, HVAC and plumbing.

First Equipment.  When you get ready to start building a brewery is to know that what you use at home. Your not going to be able to use in the commercial world. Just because it works in WA doesn't mean in MN you can use it. The local inspectors will tell you what you can and can't do. They tell you what goes on, you tell them nothing.

Second. You get what you paid for. That really cheap boiler from south of the boarder isn't going to work when it comes off the ship and will take more time and money to fix than a new one.

Third. Contractors don't work for free and neither do their employees. Just because you want to work for next to nothing doesn't mean the guys welding the steam header do. It costs a lot to run a business, much more than you think.

Forth. Engineer, hire one if your building from scratch, the best way is to buy a complete system from a dealer. One that will provide what we call as shop drawings i.e.  schematics for piping and electrical.

Good Luck!

+1 - and I totally agree with the Forth one as well. A good engineer also knows about local regulations and what the inspectors will give approval to. You actually end up saving money in the long run.

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2011, 02:36:37 pm »
You aren't by any chance suggesting that a certain Minnesota brewer purchased items that they can't easily use, are you?

;D

Offline Gribble

• Assistant Brewer
    • Low Mo Brewing Company
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2011, 02:42:00 pm »
Completely Agree.  I have seen people posting on here about their local inspectors and some of the ridiculous thing that they make them do for code.  I'm in Eastern WA, and we seem to be very brewery friendly here, but first and foremost knowing every detail that is going to be required for you to open your doors is huge.  If you budget out for what you seem to think you're going to need and then realize you missed half of the regulations, you're just wasting money.  My advise, don't rush into it.  Have a plan but realize plans do change, so be flexible enough to roll with whatever your local agencies give you.
Low Mo Brewing Company
Industrial Grade Beer Brewed For Professionals

Offline toddster

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2011, 02:48:30 pm »
No, not the one you are thinking of that has a boiler out front. I could have put that baby together and made it work. My opinion relates to a guy that bought some stuff from Japan and then had me come do a bid then kicked me out to go to a party. Wasted over three hours on my time.  ::)

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2011, 03:03:18 pm »
Discussing your plumbing & vessel planning with an engineer & other certified professionals is absolutely a key step, before you even start making purchases of equipment.
That should definitely be part of the process of making a business plan.
You will want to know what you're getting into, before you get into it.
Some breweries find that they have to tear up entire floors of their buildings & re-route/re-pour, just due to inadequate plumbing or poor drainage.
Learn from the mistakes that others have made.
It's much cheaper to read the horror stories & anticipate struggles than it is to disassemble a poor design & rework it.
I'm a mechanical drafter/designer, by trade & see rework on a regular basis.
A lot of this rework could have been avoided, if everyone was:
1) Forthcoming with information
2) Patient enough to fully think designs through
3) Taking everything one step at a time, rather that throwing pieces together, randomly
4) Able to effectively communicate their needs

It is vital that everyone in the process has an understanding of needs, expectations & what will/won't/can/can't be done.

I was once told: "Never open a business in a hurry".