Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rigging used dairy euipment for startup brewery  (Read 15413 times)

Offline Mark G

• Brewmaster
  • Huntley, IL
Re: Rigging used dairy euipment for startup brewery
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 09:05:17 pm »
Stephenson County... You're not too far from me. Best of luck to you. I hope you are successful getting your brewery started.

Cheers.
Mark Gres

Offline kylekohlmorgen

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Saint Louis, MO
    • The South House Pilot Brewery
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 09:00:43 am »
I hear a few things from your comments that need some serious consideration while planning out your budget. I used to work in Utilities (steam generation, water treatment) for the chemical industry, and I would love to help in planning!

1. Steam generation on a farm – a steam generator requires soft water that is chemically treated to preserve the generator/steam system. Don’t soften and the boiler will scale much more frequently (use MUCH more energy, expensive to clean). Don’t treat and the life of the generator will decrease dramatically (more expensive to replace tubes/unit).

2. You’ll also need pressure relief, overpressure protection, and a way to collect/reuse the condensed steam. If you’re retro-fitting, the design should be checked by someone who knows what they’re doing before putting it together (esp. the first two – safety is key with steam!).

3. Chemical runoff – make sure the septic is over-sized and can handle the chemicals you’re sending to it. If you live out in the boondocks, you know the PITA of a backed up septic. Now multiply by 100, in the winter (worst-case), with nasty chemicals. Bad news.

4. For non-contact water – I think the creek is your best bet. It will be more highly regulated, but sizing shouldn’t be an issue. Get approval EARLY – your backup plan will add considerable cost.

Again, I would love to help! None of these issues should prevent you from living your dream – planning out solutions will just help you live it sooner, easier, and cheaper.
Twitter/Instagram: @southhousebrew

Recipes, Brett/Bacteria Experiments: http://SouthHouseBeer.com/

Offline toddster

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2011, 04:11:15 pm »
I would put two of these in one for grey water and the other for water you want pumped to be treated, plus a septic.  I would also plumb my drains to each one and put slice valves in so you can put the waste water where you want it.

http://www.tank-depot.com/product.aspx?id=116

good luck, todd

jaybeerman

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2011, 04:41:51 pm »
This thread makes me happy.  Yes there's a gigantor list of things to consider, BUT this is what america needs!  I'd like to see a few thousand 3.5-7 BBL set-ups that succeed locally rather than globally.  Good luck and cheers, j