Author Topic: THICK Yeast Slurry  (Read 555 times)

Offline theDarkSide

• Brewmaster General
  • Derry, NH
    • View Profile
THICK Yeast Slurry
« on: August 30, 2011, 08:41:24 AM »
I didn't want to threadjack gmac's post so I'll start my own.

I just racked a pale ale to secondary to dry hop ( I want to reuse the slurry...I usually don't do secondary ).  When I went to pour the slurry into my erhlenmeyer, I didn't move ( or was moving very slow ).  It is the Wyeast 1968 strain so I expected it to be a little chunky.  I was able to get most of it into the flask, but it is thick. ( Think of the scene from Robocop where they show you what he eats, except thicker )

I was thinking of boiling some water, cooling it, and then adding it to the flask to loosen it up a bit.  I plan on reusing it this weekend for a pumpkin ale.  Does this sound like it's a good idea?  Kind of like a yeast rinse?
Sergeant - BNArmy Member
AHA Member
Stephen M.
------------------------------------------------
Vote Jonathan Fuller for AHA Governing Committee http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/membership/aha-governing-committee/election/jonathan-fuller-3/
Get a grip and Vote for Chip for AHA Governing Committee - http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/membership/aha-governing-committee/election/chip-walton-3

Offline morticaixavier

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Davis, CA
    • View Profile
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: THICK Yeast Slurry
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 08:44:18 AM »
that or a little cooled wort from the batch you are pitching into.

Offline hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
    • View Profile
Re: THICK Yeast Slurry
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 08:46:26 AM »
that or a little cooled wort from the batch you are pitching into.

+1.  Once you've got your wort chilled this weekend, steal some of it and put it in the flask to loosen, and then pitch it all.
Joe