Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Effects of boiling too much water  (Read 3054 times)

Offline BP79

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Effects of boiling too much water
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 11:31:37 am »
I think Yogi's "When you come to a fork in the road, take it" quote applies to this situation.  The fork is pointing me towards adding more yeast and waiting.  Thanks again.  I report back in early Nov.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 11:55:09 am »
I did a bit of looking and found a few recipes for this beer.  Most put your target OG between 1.056 and 1.062.  If the one you used is typical to the ones I looked at, I'd just go with topping it up to 5.5 gals and letting it go.  The extreme reading is more than likely from the wort not being mixed as well as you might have hoped.

More than likely it will finish up just fine.

Good luck with it!

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 11:58:19 am »
I'm surprised you shook it for five minutes. ??? Top it up and add actively fermenting yeast- so you'll need to make a starter and add it while it's at it's peak.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline BP79

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, 12:19:45 pm »
Yeah, who knows, maybe I didn't take the reading properly, either or, I certainly didn't add enough yeast.  I'm going to make a starter tonight and add it in thursday morning.