Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cleaning/Sanitizing Conicals  (Read 1387 times)

Offline James Lorden

• Brewer
  • Forest Hill, MD
Cleaning/Sanitizing Conicals
« on: September 01, 2011, 06:55:11 am »
To use Denny's term I'm a "pragmatic" brewer.  One of the best things I ever did in brewing was buy the keg cleaner/sanitizer from Morebeer (I realize this is probably an easy build for most, but there is a reason I am a CPA and not a plumber).  Anyway, cleaning and sanitizing carboys became so easy.

I just bought a conical and I was wondering if anyone has some short cuts for cleaning and sanitizing...

On the sanitation side I really don't want to do what I used to do with carboys (i.e. fill with sanitizer then drain. 14 gallons of sanitizer would be a waste).  I'm guessing people put a little sanitizer in and then shake it up but the fermenter is pretty big.

Anyway, for conical owners, whats your cleaning and sanitizing regime...
James Lorden
Beer Drinker Beer Maker & Beer Judge

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Cleaning/Sanitizing Conicals
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 07:32:06 am »
I clean it with a soft cleaning pad and some PBW solution mixed in the conical - a few gallons.   Rinse.  Then use a spray bottle of star san to spray all of the interior surfaces, and ports.

You do need to disassemble the ports and valves and do a deep cleaning periodically.  I am still dertermining how often that should be.  Others may have better advice.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!