Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fresh Spearmint  (Read 2880 times)

Offline speedy1701

• 1st Kit
Fresh Spearmint
« on: August 31, 2011, 10:40:50 am »
I'm thinking about adding fresh spearmnt to chocolate stout.  I read about adding it in the last 5 minutes of the boil, after flameout, and during secondary racking like dry hopping.  I also saw a message about some "bad" things concerning spearmint.   Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Fresh Spearmint
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 10:44:57 am »
not sure what 'bad' things you are refering to but boiling any mint will make it bitter and tannic. at flameout would be fine and dry-minting would probably also be fine. the first would be like a mint tea (although with fresh herbs you would likely get a little more vegetale character) and the dry-minting would by like adding a sprig of mint to a glass of water, fresh and mostly in the aroma.

This is all speculation as I have not done this. I do know you can use mint as a bittering agent although it's different than hops bittering obviously.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 11:30:58 am »
The only bad thing I can think of would be the flavor....just doesn't sound appealing to me in the least.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 11:37:39 am »
The only bad thing I can think of would be the flavor....just doesn't sound appealing to me in the least.

Really? chocolate and mint of any kind goes really well to me. spearmint has a slight chocolate like flavour component anyway. Hmm. to each their own I guess.
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 11:43:15 am »
I'm barely a fan of chocolate and mint (hey, why destroy good chocolate), but I'm definitely a fan of beer flavored beer.  As you say, to each their own.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 12:35:10 pm »
I'm barely a fan of chocolate and mint (hey, why destroy good chocolate), but I'm definitely a fan of beer flavored beer.

...and bourbon flavored beer, and vanilla flavored beer, ........    :)
Joe

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 01:08:21 pm »
I do like good plain really dark (90+%) chocolate. it is an experience that should not be mixed with anything. But a 76% with mint or chiles or ginger... many flavours play very well with chocolate IMHO
-A Einstein

- J Joyce

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 01:42:23 pm »
I'm barely a fan of chocolate and mint (hey, why destroy good chocolate), but I'm definitely a fan of beer flavored beer.

Surprisingly (or maybe not), I kinda burned out on that a long time ago.  When I brew it now, I give 99% of it away.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 02:18:17 am »

Surprisingly (or maybe not), I kinda burned out on that a long time ago.  When I brew it now, I give 99% of it away.

That's understandable. I have never oaked a homebrew because I got burned out on commercial "bourbon barrel" beers back in 2007 or so. And I am already tired of American sour ales and mixed fermentations.... My focus has definitely shifted chiefly to 4-6.5% abv all-malt beers.

Offline speedy1701

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 10:26:05 am »
Thanks for the advise!  details about the 'bad' weren;t mentioned but I have to belive you got it right about releasing bitter an tannics in a boil.

Offline jivetyrant

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 06:49:11 am »
Sometimes I think there's a collective unconsciousness amongst us homebrewers.

I just did a mint chocolate stout a few weeks ago, it's in secondary with 4oz of cacao nibs as we speak.  I used 1oz of dried peppermint (I prefer it to spearmint, the latter tastes too much like chewing gum to me) at 5 mins.  I have not dry-minted it yet, I'm going to taste it after another week or two in secondary and evaluate further.  The last time I tasted it was just before transferring to secondary and the mint character was exactly what I wanted, light and noticeable but definitely not overwhelming.  It tasted much more like beer than mint, exactly what I was going for.

It probably won't be ready until around xmas, but that's what I was shooting for anyway. :)  Now if I could just decide on a brown ale/nut brown recipe to brew next....  any suggestions?

Offline speedy1701

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2011, 10:59:21 am »
Well I just tasted the batch.  I added about 1/2 to 1 oz of fresh leaves at flameout. It mostly tastes like beer and I really can't taste the mint.  Maybe a good thing.  Beers good anyway!