Author Topic: Local beer recommendations - MI, MN, WI, SD, ND  (Read 6009 times)

Offline jiggs26.2

• Cellarman
  • Black Hills, South Dakota
    • View Profile
Re: Local beer recommendations - MI, MN, WI, SD, ND
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2011, 11:21:08 PM »
There is a brewry in Spearfish SD( west river), not sure if they ship east river or not.  They are called Crew Peak Brewing and if you can find some 11th hour IPA pick some up or any of their other beers.  11th Hour is my favorite though.
maybe just a typo but its crowpeak. ;)
Yea it was a typo.  Good looking out.  Typed this up on my iTouch and I sometimes forget to check for all the stupid changes it likes to make to what you type.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 11:28:08 PM by jiggs26.2 »
AHA Lifetime Member

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottle/Keg: Holiday Chocolate Stout, Nelson Sauvin IPA, Brew Dog Punk IPA Clone, Apricot Pale Ale, Wizenbock

Offline hopvine

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2011, 06:14:46 AM »
I'm completely baffled as to why Founders hasn't been recommended ONCE in this entire thread as a must-stop in Michigan.  Have I slipped into an alternate dimension where it doesn't actually exist?  You guys have heard of a brewery called Founders, right?

If there is one brewery in MI that can't be missed, in my opinion it's Founders.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 09:53:55 AM by hopvine »

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2011, 06:51:44 AM »
I'm am completely baffled as to why Founders hasn't been recommended ONCE in this entire thread as a must-stop in Michigan.  Have I slipped into an alternate dimension where it doesn't actually exist?  You guys have heard of a brewery called Founders, right?

If there is one brewery in MI that can't be missed, in my opinion it's Founders.

There are many good options on the west side of the state.  Founders is but one in my opinion.  It is listed in the Michigan Beer Guide brewers directory.

Edit - GMAC did say that he knew the obvious ones.  He mentioned Bells, one can assume he knows about Founders.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2011, 06:55:41 AM by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline hopvine

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2011, 09:58:05 AM »
There are many good options on the west side of the state.  Founders is but one in my opinion.  It is listed in the Michigan Beer Guide brewers directory.

Edit - GMAC did say that he knew the obvious ones.  He mentioned Bells, one can assume he knows about Founders.

There are many good options indeed, but in terms of quality and brewpub atmosphere, I can't think of any that rival Founders.  I did miss the part where he said that he was primarily interested in really tiny but great breweries that don't distribute very broadly.  Founders doesn't quite satisfy the tiny requirement.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2011, 02:22:56 PM »
I am not one to like booze barrel beers, so most time at Founders, my selections become limited.  Fresh Red's Rye is so darned good there.

Last 2 times in GR, we didn't go to Founders.  Other places in the area, HopCat, Brewery Vivant, and it was time for bed.
Jeff Rankert

Offline jeffy

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2011, 02:51:48 PM »
'Just got to Michigan today and am having a Founders Centennial IPA as I type.  We had lunch at Sullivan's brew pub in Frankenmuth and are now enjoying the view of Lake Huron from a funky 1950's cabin.  At 41F it is way colder than Florida, but still a nice change.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Kellermeister

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 30, 2011, 03:03:12 PM »
Its a toss up whether New Holland or Founders is the best brewery in Michigan.  I lean toward Founders.  Must do more testing...

Offline hopvine

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2011, 03:56:06 PM »
I am not one to like booze barrel beers, so most time at Founders, my selections become limited.  Fresh Red's Rye is so darned good there.

Last 2 times in GR, we didn't go to Founders.  Other places in the area, HopCat, Brewery Vivant, and it was time for bed.

At any given time there are usually 2 - 3 barrel aged beers on tap, out of the ~15 they usually serve.  At the moment, it's 1 out of 10 with Backwoods Bastard.  But to your point, the barrel aged beers aren't always my favorite, Backwoods being one that can come across as a bit too boozy.

Its a toss up whether New Holland or Founders is the best brewery in Michigan.  I lean toward Founders.  Must do more testing...

In my opinion, more testing is DEFINITELY required if this feels like a toss up.  I live in Holland and would love nothing more than to have the best brewery in Michigan right down the road, but it's just not the case in my humble opinion.  New Holland and Founders, in my experience, are opposite in their brewing methodology.  New Holland tends to play it safe and brew beers for the masses; most of their beers appeal to people that want to dip their toes into the craftbrew scene.  This isn't true of all of their beers, as there are one or two that buck that trend; Dragon's Milk comes to mind.  Founders, on the other hand, has the following philosophy (taken from their webpage):
“We don’t brew beer for the masses. Instead, our beers are crafted for a chosen few, a small cadre of renegades and rebels who enjoy a beer that pushes the limits of what is commonly accepted as taste. In short, we make beer for people like us.”
They are consistently putting out top notch, creative, best in class brews. 

This may come as a shock, but I'm a huge fan of Founders.  :D

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2011, 05:14:44 PM »
Don't assume anything.  Haven't heard of Founders.  I'll look into it.
I brought home some Bells Pale Ale and two different Shorts beers today (will try them tomorrow). 
Keep up the great recommendations.

Offline Kellermeister

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2011, 07:02:03 PM »
I have heard that the Livery is pretty good, in Benton Harbor, but never been there.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2011, 07:17:12 PM »
'Just got to Michigan today and am having a Founders Centennial IPA as I type.  We had lunch at Sullivan's brew pub in Frankenmuth and are now enjoying the view of Lake Huron from a funky 1950's cabin.  At 41F it is way colder than Florida, but still a nice change.

39F here as I type.  The lake may keep the temp up for you tonight.

What is the best brewery?  We have so many that could be on the list.  Shorts is very creative.  Bell's is no slouch.  I had the Quinannan Falls Special Lager Beer recently, and really liked it.  This comes from a guy who is brewing a lot of lagers these days.

No one mentioned the Big Rock Chophouse in Birmingham.  More of a restaurant, but they have gotten medals for the IPA, DIPA at the last World Beer Cup.  Did well at the last GABF too.
Jeff Rankert

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2011, 08:54:13 AM »
Just had our first frost.  Next week will warm up to the high 70's.  This is the definition of "Indian Summer".  Enjoy it if you are here (Jeff) and if you come on business (gmac).  One of the best times of the year, but then it is followed by the cold, damp, grey month known as November.

Jeff - check out the cider on the west side of the state.  Cider juice and hard cider.  Good stuff.
Jeff Rankert

Offline jeffy

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2011, 10:02:30 AM »
Thanks, Jeff.  We bought a little bottle of cider at the High School craft fair in Oscoda yesterday.  It was so much more tart and flavorful than what I can get in a store in Florida.  'Heading for Charlevoix now (with a quick stop for an IPA at Big Buck in Gaylord) and hope to have a late lunch at Shorts in Bellaire.  Big Buck is odd in that the lowest ABV on their whole beer menu of 16 beers is 6.2% and that's the Light Beer!
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2011, 12:18:53 PM »
Haven't been to Big Buck in a long time.  They once had 3 pubs in MI, and one in TX.  Now just the original remains.

You will enjoy Shorts.

Don't know if you have time, but there are good cider makers on the Lelenau peninsula.  This link will help.
http://www.greatlakescider.com/map.html

If you want a great drive, the road from Harbor Springs to Cross Village is called the "Tunnel of Trees" for a reason.  Might take you out of your way doing that.
Jeff Rankert

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2011, 06:57:12 PM »
Thanks all for the recommendations.  Taking a couple weeks off travel but I'll be back in MI at the end of the month so I'll try to find Founders.

What I've tried (or bought to try) so far that I can't get at home:

New Glarus Moon Man
New Glarus Spotted Cow
New Glarus Staghorn Octoberfest
DogFish Head 60 Minute IPA
Shorts Autumn Ale
Shorts Hopa-luma-licious
Bell's Two Hearted Ale
Bell's Pale Ale
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Sierra Nevada Torpedo IPA
Summit Pale Ale
Surly Furious
Leininkeugel's Octoberfest
Lazy Monk Octoberfest (brought these home, haven't tried them yet)
Lazy Monk Dark Lager
Lazy Monk Pilsner
Milwaukee Brewing Co Saison
Several Grumpy Troll brews (only Kentucky Bourbon Barrel-aged Porter stands out in my memory)
Other brew pub brews not really worth mentioning

The ones I liked best were Moon Man, Two-hearted and DFH 60 (like I said, I haven't tried them all yet).