Author Topic: Local beer recommendations - MI, MN, WI, SD, ND  (Read 6010 times)

Offline rbclay

• Assistant Brewer
  • Northfield, MN
    • View Profile
Re: Local beer recommendations - MI, MN, WI, SD, ND
« Reply #45 on: October 08, 2011, 12:18:44 PM »
a have a couple thoughts about your list...

you can't get Sierra Nevada Pale Ale where you live? I thought for sure you could get that anywhere these days, even in the Great White North. If you weren't a homebrewer I'd say you need to move!

first time I had New Glarus Staghorn, several years ago now, it was one of the best beers I've ever had. i'll have to seek it out again this year.
Randy Clay
Milltown Mashers
https://www.facebook.com/groups/404574082932834/
BJCP Certified

Offline bonjour

• Administrator
  • Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 08, 2011, 12:56:24 PM »
No one mentioned the Big Rock Chophouse in Birmingham.  More of a restaurant, but they have gotten medals for the IPA, DIPA at the last World Beer Cup.  Did well at the last GABF too.
Dan has medaled in a lot of different categories over the years.  IMHO he is likely the best overall brewer in the state, but with no distribution.  He is looking at a production brewery.

Did anyone mention Jolly Pumpkin?  Jeff is a true master of barrel arts.
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 08, 2011, 02:51:49 PM »
No one mentioned the Big Rock Chophouse in Birmingham.  More of a restaurant, but they have gotten medals for the IPA, DIPA at the last World Beer Cup.  Did well at the last GABF too.
Dan has medaled in a lot of different categories over the years.  IMHO he is likely the best overall brewer in the state, but with no distribution.  He is looking at a production brewery.

Did anyone mention Jolly Pumpkin?  Jeff is a true master of barrel arts.

I heard that Big Rock did not medal in the 2011 GABF since they missed the entry deadline.  Same for Kuhnhenn.  Those were 2 locals that could have done well.

I think it is Ron Jeffries that you are thinking about for JP. ;)
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild, AHA Member, BJCP Certified
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline bonjour

• Administrator
  • Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 08, 2011, 03:09:12 PM »
ooops :-[
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline jeffy

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Tampa, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 08, 2011, 05:17:07 PM »
Just getting back from our trip to Michigan.  It was nearly perfect weather with trees turning red and yellow all over the state.
I had some really good beers, but did not make any notes on them.  Every beer I had at Shorts in Bellaire was a winner - Pontius Road Pilsner, The Village Reserve (Pale Ale w/ Perle and Centennial), Autumn Ale (ESB), Huma-Lupa-Licious IPA, and Asphasia (old ale on bourbon) plus the sandwiches were awesome.
In Traverse City we hit North Peak (not too impressed), Mackinaw Brewing (nice double IPA), Right Brain Brewing (several IPAs on tap - I had the Rye IPA), and up the peninsula we found what appeared to be a production brewery for Jolly Pumpkin and North Peak.  Nice lunch with Bam Noire and Oro de Calabaza. 
I had a Saison from Brewery Vivant at 7 Monks that smelled and tasted of gym socks (isovoleric acid).  Not my favorite.
In Holland we stayed a half block away from New Holland's brew pub, which had some interesting stuff - another Rye IPA and something dark and Belgian, plus they sell bombers to go, so I got a chance to try their Saison and a tart raspberry pear beer, both delicious.
In Grand Rapids we went to HopCat, thanks to Jeff for the recommendation.  Nice bar!  I had a delicious Citra Pale ale and a Black Rye IPA, one of which was from Arcadia (and mussels).  Then we went to Founders for yet another Rye IPA and a sample of their Breakfast Stout on Bourbon.
We had lunch and another Rye IPA (I think this was the theme of the trip) at Arcadia in Battle Creek.
In Ann Arbor we had a cople of cask ales at Grizzly Peak, which were OK, then met up with Jeff Renner at Arbor Brewing for a cask IPA and a Scotch Ale.
I am now at home, drinking a home brew, which happens to be a Rye IPA with Belgian yeast.
I would recommend Michigan as a beer travel destination.  There is a lot going on.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2011, 07:23:53 AM »
a have a couple thoughts about your list...

you can't get Sierra Nevada Pale Ale where you live? I thought for sure you could get that anywhere these days, even in the Great White North. If you weren't a homebrewer I'd say you need to move!

You can find SN sometimes but not within 50 miles of my place.  Problem with distribution up here is that there are only a few options and a lot of the smaller stores don't carry that many craft beers.  They carry large Europeans a lot more than craft styles.  I can't think of a place that I know for sure I could drive to and get a SN beer around here.  So, you're probably right but it would damn inconvenient.

Offline brenda.frason@yahoo.com

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2011, 04:16:42 AM »
Thank you a lot for your recommendations in this threat - I will down the most important suggestions and have them with me whenever I come around to those places. I really appreciate your posts! Again: Whenever you find some other cool plces for having a beer or two, then let us know!