Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Harpoon Octoberfest  (Read 1474 times)

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Harpoon Octoberfest
« on: September 02, 2010, 10:12:30 pm »
Bought a six pack to try.  Overall, I'm not that impressed.  Not a bad beer just overly caramelly.  Leaves a somewhat sweet taste on the back of your tongue. Kinda an example of the difference between "sweet" and "malty".  It'll be awhile before I get through the six pack.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Harpoon Octoberfest
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 12:46:06 am »
I just got a sixpack of this because A. I want to try all the Octoberfests I can, and B. Harpoon has always been a good choice in my book.

Light and drinkable. Deep copper with little head formation. Malty, but with a hint of acidity. Not sure if that is just a result of pH adjustment or their choice in dark grain. Sweet and lightly hopped. The bitterness seems to come from the dark malts. The aroma is faintly floral and with an interestingly rich malt-grain smell.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 05:35:27 am »
Bought a six pack to try.  Overall, I'm not that impressed.  Not a bad beer just overly caramelly.  Leaves a somewhat sweet taste on the back of your tongue. Kinda an example of the difference between "sweet" and "malty".  It'll be awhile before I get through the six pack.

I'll have to see if I can find this around here and give it a go. I get the feeling our palates are similar when it comes to O-fests . . this is a description I could have used with the SA O-fest.
Just brew it...

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 07:09:28 am »
Yeah, I haven't tried it this year but I'm expecting it will be similar if not the same as last year.  I'll probably see if I can pick up a single as part of a mixed sixer when I go O-Fest sample shopping one of these weekends.
Clint
Wort Hogs