Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Poblanos  (Read 7859 times)

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
Poblanos
« on: September 01, 2011, 12:38:56 pm »
I have some, and more than I can eat fresh.  Are these a roastable pepper?
How about dried?...ancho. How do you use the dried pepper?

Thanks in advance.  The AHA brewer brains here are amazing. 8)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Poblanos
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 12:50:06 pm »
They are great all ways. I believe this is the pepper used to make Chile Rellenos. Slow roasted some in the smoker along with some turkey and hocks a couple months back. Finished in the dehydrator. I like to grind up the dried poblanos in the spice mill (MrCoffee) and add to food as "chile powder", or to make salsa. Fantastic flavor!

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 01:01:13 pm »
They are great to use in pepper beers.  Plenty of flavor and aroma and just a slight touch of heat.  I roast mine and remove the char prior to adding in the keg or at the end of fermentation.  (Note that I didn't say "secondary?")  Three or so for 5 gallons, usually best in a not-so-bitter style of beer.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 01:54:16 pm »
+ 1 on the chile rellenos. One of my favorite dishes to make with peppers. If you roast them up and skin, empty them then stuff with shredded cheese you can freeze them like that for a quick chili relleno meal at some later date. Just have to whip up the batter and fry.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Al Equihua

• Assistant Brewer
  • A la Salud!
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 02:54:48 pm »
Looks tasty!! mmm... you're right those are specially for chile rellenos and also you can try with Anaheim Chiles or California Chiles. These are the same to us but diferent names... damn im hungry now!
Al Equihua

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 05:40:29 pm »
Definitely dry some for storage, and if you can, smoke some and then dry them for storage. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 07:33:03 pm »
They are great to use in pepper beers.  Plenty of flavor and aroma and just a slight touch of heat.  I roast mine and remove the char prior to adding in the keg or at the end of fermentation.  (Note that I didn't say "secondary?")  Three or so for 5 gallons, usually best in a not-so-bitter style of beer.

Care to post a recipe? Never had or brewed a pepper beer. Love peppers and love beer, would like to give it a go...
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 08:08:45 pm »

Care to post a recipe? Never had or brewed a pepper beer. Love peppers and love beer, would like to give it a go...
My house poblano beer is a strong witbier with peppers added in the keg.  50% pils malt, 40% wheat (the most recent used flaked wheat) and 10% flaked oats.  Mash low (149F), low IBU's, maybe 15 using Cascades, at knock out add citrus peel, Indian coriander and a touch of chamomile.  After fermentation add three torched and peeled poblanos and if you want a bit more heat, maybe a half a habanero in five gallons.
I know this is fairly vague, but I change this every time I make it and it always turns out nice.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 01:02:56 am »
Never had a chile beer. Poblanos have a rich flavor so it's good to know they do well in brew. Not a scorcher mind you, IMO as a neophyte I want a little heat build up by the end of the glass and some salivating but not burning lips, tongue and esophagus.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 01:14:39 am »
Out here we use Big Jims for rellenos.  The farm I buy my bushels of chiles from grows great poblanos also.  We use them for stuffing with ground pork and squash, and just like I'd use any other chile.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 01:18:53 am »
I have to say the Hatch chiles looked kinda weak this year corky. They were very pale and thin fleshed. Am I just misremembering or does it have something to do with the drought?

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 04:12:17 am »

My house poblano beer is a strong witbier with peppers added in the keg.  50% pils malt, 40% wheat (the most recent used flaked wheat) and 10% flaked oats.  Mash low (149F), low IBU's, maybe 15 using Cascades, at knock out add citrus peel, Indian coriander and a touch of chamomile.  After fermentation add three torched and peeled poblanos and if you want a bit more heat, maybe a half a habanero in five gallons.
I know this is fairly vague, but I change this every time I make it and it always turns out nice.

Cool, thanks for the info!
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2011, 06:04:17 am »
Dried poblanos (anchos) are excellent salsa chiles.

Here's a recipe I make frequently for ancho-based salsa:

1 lb roasted tomatillos
6 cloves roasted garlic
2 oz stemmed, seeded, toasted, rehydrated anchos

Put everything in a blender and blend until smooth.  Then add water until you reach your desired consistency.  Salt to taste (usually at least 1-2 tsp).  It should be a nice brick red color.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline pinnah

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Wesloper, CO
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2011, 02:01:09 pm »
Fantastic!   Thanks for the ideas everyone.  I put a couple on the grill last night with a couple brats..yum.

Most of mine are smaller than those beauties euge has...wow...
I am thinking of drying the small ones.

Just in the dehydrator then? 

Cheers.

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 02:18:20 pm »
The dehydrator! They are delicious aren't they? Might have to pick some up tonight.