Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WLP San Diego Super Yeast (user update)  (Read 19400 times)

Offline passlaku

• Assistant Brewer
WLP San Diego Super Yeast (user update)
« on: September 02, 2011, 09:07:33 pm »
The description of this yeast is right on.  I brewed a standard malty amber and it is clean and well attenuated.  I say it is somewhere between 001 and 002.  It flocs really well and has cleared up nice and brilliant after only two weeks in the keg.  I fermented on the high side (~68F) and got a very clean beer.  I am currently fermenting an ordinary bitter with the second generation of the initial tube.  It smells good out of the airlock so far.  I am hoping to get about 5 generations out of this tube.  Next up is a hopBurst pale ale, with ~5 oz of hops. 

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
Re: WLP San Diego Super Yeast (user update)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 08:39:11 pm »
Cool! I have this cooking in a hoppy american brown ale and it smells great!  I am only three days into it so i hope it drops as clear as you say.
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline starraptor

• 1st Kit
  • It's Good
    • SNB Brewing
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 10:13:27 am »
All I can say is the San Diego Super Yeast (WLP090) is a machine. With a starter it took my Double American Red Ale from 1.092 down to 1.020 in 6 days.

I can say that after tasting the sample it was a really clean fermentation around 67-68 degrees (the wort).

I detected no off flavors and the hops were really present in this one

still a little cloudy but I can take care of that in secondary
Brew Stats
2011: 92.13 Gallons
2010: 94.73 Gallons
Lifetime: 199.24 Gallons
Total Brews: 49

Last Brew: October 9, 2011 - DG's Mild and DG's Peach Farm (Mild and Farmhouse Ale)

Offline hopvine

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 05:57:42 pm »
Noticed that White Labs is going to make it a mainstay yeast.  They had discussed making it a limited run unless the response was really positive, looks like it has been popular so far.

Just used it in a Harvest IPA.  Fermenting like crazy with a 1.070 OG.  Haven't pulled a sample yet.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 07:47:28 am »
glad to hear its going to become a mainstay - it might become a mainstay with me then as well!

I pulled a sample of IPA last night and it tastes great so far - dropped 1.070 to 1.016 in <10 days (maybe sooner - this is my first sampling).
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline hopvine

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011, 04:22:06 pm »
Just pulled a sample after 6 days of primary to see how fermentation is coming along.  I still have krausen and yeast is quite obviously in suspension, so this wasn't an "is it done yet?" sample, mostly just a progress check.

Gravity is still at 1.027 after an O.G. of 1.070.  Fermentation has been conducted at a steady 66F, although I brought it up to 68F after three days of fermentation (under the assumption that I was further along than I truly was).

Sample tastes great, but I'm surprised at how slowly it is fermenting, give the description offered by White Labs.

10/7/2011 Update: Took another gravity reading 11 days after pitching, and I'm still at 1.020 with continued visible signs of fermentation.  The sample tastes fine, but I'm surprised by how slowly fermentation is progressing.  I made a 1L starter and had pitched the starter at high krausen at ~16 hours.  Not sure what may have happened, but right now I don't see a compelling reason to use this yeast again.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 08:51:17 am by hopvine »

Offline blatz

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 07:36:34 am »
update - got down to 14 at kegging, which is perfect for this recipe.

I love this yeast - I can easily see it replacing 001 in the future for me, though I need to try it out on a few other styles to be certain - just a great performer - flocs very well (only in the keg 6 days and is almost brilliant) and is clean/neutral in flavor.  hops really shine through.  could not be happier.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 09:17:51 am »
Well, it sounds like I need to try this stuff in one of my recipes now.  Thanks for all the great info, guys.
Jesse

Offline hoser

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 10:57:02 am »
Just pulled a sample after 6 days of primary to see how fermentation is coming along.  I still have krausen and yeast is quite obviously in suspension, so this wasn't an "is it done yet?" sample, mostly just a progress check.

Gravity is still at 1.027 after an O.G. of 1.070.  Fermentation has been conducted at a steady 66F, although I brought it up to 68F after three days of fermentation (under the assumption that I was further along than I truly was).

Sample tastes great, but I'm surprised at how slowly it is fermenting, give the description offered by White Labs.

10/7/2011 Update: Took another gravity reading 11 days after pitching, and I'm still at 1.020 with continued visible signs of fermentation.  The sample tastes fine, but I'm surprised by how slowly fermentation is progressing.  I made a 1L starter and had pitched the starter at high krausen at ~16 hours.  Not sure what may have happened, but right now I don't see a compelling reason to use this yeast again.

I am noting similar problems with WLP090 as well.  Made an AIPA, mashed at 150F, pH 5.3 (yes, I calibrated them before the brew).  5% of the grist was C-20L.  Made a 2L starter ahead of time, chilled, decanted and then added 1.5L of IPA wort to the flask.  Got the yeast active and then pitched at 64F, slowly ramping up to 68F.  After 1 week I check my gravity prior to dry hopping and the beer went from 1.068 to 1.030, grrrrrrr....I made up an oxygenated starter of WLP007 and got it down to 1.020 today after 2 weeks, even after warming it up to 72-74F.  Still not where I want it.

Similar problem with a Hawaiian porter I brewed on Saturday.  This is the 5th time I have brewed this recipe and the second time I have used WLP090 in as many weeks. Worked up the starter the same way as the IPA.  Mashed at 154F, pH 5.3.  8% of the grist C-60L.  Pitched at 64F, but ramped up the heat a little faster to 72F over 3+ days.  Checked my gravity this AM, once again 1.068 to 1.020.  Usually this recipe finishes out at 1.012-1.014.

Same yeast, 2 different beers.  Despite all of the rave reviews of this yeast, it seems to be a little finicky to me.  I get consistent, reproducable results with WLP001, WLP007.  After 2 bad experiences with WLP090, I see no reason to use this yeast again.  Going to try to unstick my ferments with WLP099.  Wish me luck...

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 11:00:32 am »
Chris White mentioned using it in an Alt competition or event; I am wondering about a Kolsch?  I like WLP 029, but if 090 can handle a cool fermentation and can drop clear quicker, then hey, I am all for giving it a go.  What do you guys think?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline blatz

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2011, 11:03:05 am »
Chris White mentioned using it in an Alt competition or event; I am wondering about a Kolsch?  I like WLP 029, but if 090 can handle a cool fermentation and can drop clear quicker, then hey, I am all for giving it a go.  What do you guys think?

I can see it working well in an alt, but not a kolsch - I think it would be too clean for kolsch - none of the winey/fruity yeast aromatics would be there I would think.

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2011, 06:25:48 pm »
Ester profile is too fuity for a kolsh. (not that it is very fruity, but kolsh needs to be very clean)  I have used in an Americn Brown and Robust Porter  with great results.   

In using for succesive generations, be sure to get enough O2 to the yeast.  I found by generation 3, the quick fermentation characteristics began to lag in the testing i dd when just shaking the carboy.  With an aeration stone and air pump, 2 15 mnute shots (one before pitching, then one 4 hours after pitching) kept the quick fermentation times.
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2011, 06:20:53 pm »

I can see it working well in an alt, but not a kolsch - I think it would be too clean for kolsch - none of the winey/fruity yeast aromatics would be there I would think.

Ester profile is too fuity for a kolsh. (not that it is very fruity, but kolsh needs to be very clean) 

Well I guess we have a difference of opinion here.... ;D
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline blatz

« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 07:22:57 pm »
guess its up to interpretation:

6C. Kölsch

Aroma: Very low to no Pils malt aroma. A pleasant, subtle fruit aroma from fermentation (apple, cherry or pear) is acceptable, but not always present. A low noble hop aroma is optional but not out of place (it is present only in a small minority of authentic versions). Some yeasts may give a slight winy or sulfury character (this characteristic is also optional, but not a fault).

i don't get fruity at all from the 090 but then again, I've used it in IPA which is hard to discern.

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 06:19:57 am »
Ester profile is too fuity for a kolsh. (not that it is very fruity, but kolsh needs to be very clean) 

Well I guess we have a difference of opinion here.... ;D

Indeed we do!  In the competitions I have entered, the clean Kolsh get the higher ranking.  In fact, I have entered award winning  Kolsh in Lager categories and gotten high 30's consistently....just to give you an idea of how clean I am thinking!!  I would also think of the quality of esters 090 will give you.  Kolsh yeast at a higher temps expresses esters, but they are different than what you get from 090.  (that is not necessarily a bad thing...just different)

One of the things i did a couple years ago was get 4 1gallon glass jugs so I could compare yeasts side by side.  I would suggest you save some apple juice jugs or get some from your homebrew shop and try pithcing the yeasts side by side and possibly at a few different temps and see what difference it makes.

Have fun!
-- Wingnut - Cheers!