Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First extract in years  (Read 3851 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: First extract in years
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 11:21:27 am »
I'll 3rd that sentiment!  I was also running around trying to figure out what to use for what.  I think the first extract batch I did after my hiatus took a couple hours longer than my AG average.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 03:35:36 pm »
I've been thinking of procuring some of NB's Munich and Rye LME and making batches with each.  These extracts already have a nice blend of grains including some crystal, and I think you could just brew with them and not have to use steeping grains.

Denny, I know you were involved with the rye, how about the Munich?

This is the beauty of fresh extract. The amber and dark already have nice mix of grains in them and can be used as is. The hardest thing is figuring out which hops and yeast to use.

If you are having equipment issues a concentrated boil with a cold top up works well. Might not be the best for extra light extract. But it does produce great results with the darker extracts.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 05:47:49 am »
I'll 3rd that sentiment!  I was also running around trying to figure out what to use for what.  I think the first extract batch I did after my hiatus took a couple hours longer than my AG average.

Any major change in brewing harshes my mellow! especially since my gear is crammed into one bookcase these days.  I feel like I'm unpacking equipment out of those tiny clown cars. For this weekend's batch, I'm lining up the equipment the night before, using a trusty checklist.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline pweis909

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 04:45:49 pm »
After mashing all my homebrews for 5 years, several factors conspired to motivate me to do an extract hefe last month. Sometimes there is something to be said for a shorter brew day.