Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Greg Noonan's Scotch Ale  (Read 2347 times)

Offline Hydro

• Cellarman
Greg Noonan's Scotch Ale
« on: September 04, 2011, 01:05:36 pm »
Has any one read Greg Noonan's book on, "Scotch Ale"?

I have read it and it is a vary informative and interesting book.

Although I am a bit confused with the recipes which he has included in the book.  The amount of grain which he uses does not seem to be balancing out the the OG which he states you should expect.   

I am considering brewing as an example:  120 Shilling Scotch Ale,  Double Mash, which yields two separate brews. 1 Barrel (Mash) each OG Strong Ale 1.090 and Twopenny 1.040 (Page 117).  He is only using 54 lb Pale Malt, 9.5 lb Carapils, .6 lb Roast Barley.    He expects to get 35 gal mash for Strong Ale at 1.090 from first mash, and 34.1 gal mash for Twopenny Ale at 1.040 from the second mash. 

This just does not sound right at all to me.  I have also ran the figures through Brewsmith 2.  It also shows that the grain bill is too low.  I would appreciate your openions about this.  Maybe there is a miss print in the book or I am miss interpreting it.
What do you think?   
For the Love of Beer,
Hydro

On Tap Now:
1. Irish Red Ale
2. American Amber Ale
3. Kolsch
4. Scotch Ale
5. Strong Scotch Ale
6. Key Lime Pie (11%) Chilled to 29 deg. F. you can not even taste the alcohol.

It is time to start brewing again.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Greg Noonan's Scotch Ale
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 08:41:39 pm »
don't have the book and so have not read the recipe. you are right though, 54 lbs base grain to 70 gallons only works out to about 1.017 and for a partigyle at those strengths you would want a og for 70 gallons at around 1.070. But if it says double mash I think of that as the opposite, if you don't have room in your mash tun for the OG you are shooting for you can mash once with half the grain, and then use the wort as your strike water and mash again with the second half of the grain, still don't think you get the OG you need though so I suspect a typo. Looks like for a 50/50 split partigyle for 1 barrel strong and 1 barrel small it would take about 200 lbs of grain.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Greg Noonan's Scotch Ale
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 02:30:52 pm »
I'm guessing the double mash means you mash 64lb of grist twice, for a total of 128lb.  Even that would require nearly 100% efficiency though.

Maybe the typo is that it should be 154lb of base malt.  That'd make the carapils 7.5% instead of 15%.  Then you could get your two beers with a little over 75% efficiency.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO