Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wanted: Stout Recipe  (Read 4840 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Wanted: Stout Recipe
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 11:50:25 am »
Just a reminder..a great place to look for (or post) recipes is the AHA recipe wiki....

http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/BeerRecipes
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 12:17:07 pm »
No pressure though, right D?  :)

I posted the recipe there, with flaked barley listed since that is what I normally use.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 12:17:43 pm »

I posted the recipe there, with flaked barley listed since that is what I normally use.

Pressure?  Me???

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 12:20:07 pm »

Pressure?  Me???
Tiny bit. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 12:33:18 pm »
I looked there first Denny.  I didn't find anything with Tom's name on it which is why I asked.  I almost always check that first.  I do find a lot of recipes get talked about but far fewer end up in the wiki. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2011, 12:38:34 pm »
I looked there first Denny.  I didn't find anything with Tom's name on it which is why I asked.  I almost always check that first.  I do find a lot of recipes get talked about but far fewer end up in the wiki. 

Good on ya, Graham!  Hopefully, people who discuss recipes on this forum will post them on the wiki more often.  Makes things a lot easier to find in the future.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2011, 01:10:00 pm »
Should the submitter's name be included in the title?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 01:18:33 pm »
If I'd remembered the "irish neighbour" story, I'd have remembered it was in there under that name but on some recipes, when you open them you can see who submitted it and on others you can't. 

I would like to see an inclusion of the submitters name in the recipe, not necessarily in the title.  It's not necessary but if you're looking at two recipes and ones by Denny and ones by me, you can probably be more confident that the Denny one will be good.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 01:53:21 pm »
If I'd remembered the "irish neighbour" story, I'd have remembered it was in there under that name but on some recipes, when you open them you can see who submitted it and on others you can't. 

I would like to see an inclusion of the submitters name in the recipe, not necessarily in the title.  It's not necessary but if you're looking at two recipes and ones by Denny and ones by me, you can probably be more confident that the Denny one will be good.

You may be giving me too much credit, Graham!  I try to include my name with the recipe, though.

Tom, in the title would be fine, but I do think it's important that the submitter's name is in there somewhere.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 01:59:19 pm »
  It turned out nice, the neighbors were over drinking it last night.
).

need any new neighbors?

+1 to posting recipes in the wiki.
Don AHA member

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2011, 07:30:03 pm »
So how does one decide if a recipe is wiki-worthy?  For example, I have an amber ale recipe that I made up that I really like and so do my friends and I made a spiced saison that everyone who's tried it thinks is great.  But, neither of these have ever won anything so they don't really have any creditentials to back them up.  Maybe what I'm thinking is Amber is actually a Brown Ale or some other thing. 
I notice a lot of the beers on the wiki have won awards.  It seems to be the ones that haven't that get talked about but never posted.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2011, 02:06:49 am »
I added my name to the title, that may make it easier.

How do I decide if it's worthy?  I don't know, the Seamus has never won an award, but then I've never entered it.  There are a lot of recipe sites where the recipes are all crap, and it would be a shame if the wiki turned into that.  But if you have one or two that you are really proud of or if people keep asking for them, I think it is appropriate to put them there.  And that's not just you, I wouldn't want it to be a collection of Gordon/Denny/Drew recipes either. 

But maybe that's just me, it can be whatever the group wants it to be.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2011, 06:46:30 am »
Just a reminder..a great place to look for (or post) recipes is the AHA recipe wiki....

http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/BeerRecipes

I've been on this forum long enough to recognize trustworthy names, but in terms of using recipes, unless they have a lot of detail, they don't have enough context for me.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member