Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Changes  (Read 4641 times)

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
Re: Changes
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2011, 07:44:02 pm »
I just bought a 1.75 litre of "Dripping Springs" vodka. That's very local and an awesome vodka. Picked it up for $29 which is quite a reasonable price. "Winner of the Gold (Best in Class) and the prestigious IWSC Purity Vodka Trophy
at the 2008 International Wine and Spirit Competition"

Vodka is the Coke of Liquor.  The lowest quality, least interesting, least flavorful, most mass-sold, mass-consumed garbage out there.  Good vodka is not cheap vodka, but it's still vodka.

Gin isn't my thing but I could.  It has a sharp, spicy flavor that I haven't gotten into but find appealing.  Rum is decent.  Whiskey is ... ungodly, especially in variety--I like spicy Irish style whiskeys and have an eye on some Scotch Islay styles.

But Vodka?  The base stuff they use to make blue, fruity, whatever flavored liquors, because it's "neutral" and altogether uninteresting?

In any case, have you tried inviting your potential clientel out to lunches, with samples of the product?  Negotiations are best held with the other party half-drunk.

A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2011, 08:20:02 pm »

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2011, 11:17:31 pm »
Actually I think rum is the coke of spirits. ::)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 08:38:24 am »

No rum goes in coke :D

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 10:02:17 am »

Not my rum! While any spirit can be diluted with mixers of various types (and if that's your preference, more power to you), I prefer my to drink my spirits (including rum) straight and undiluted. Of course, that presupposes quality spirits. If you think rum needs to be consumed with coke, I'd suggest you try some of the aged rums such as Zaya (probably my favorite rum).

As with my beer, I like my spirits with flavor. Probably why single malt is my drink of choice. I understand that cocktails can provide a different range of flavors, some very enjoyable, but my personal preference is almost always for straight, aged spirits sipped slowly & appreciatively.

Even when drinking cocktails or mixed drinks, my preference is for one that presents (and tries to compliment) the essential flavor & nature of the spirit - rather than covering it up with overwhelming sweet flavors. As such, when mixing a rum drink, I'd much prefer a dark rum with club soda & lime as opposed to rum and coke. Each to his own, but I've found that those who prefer mixed drinks generally don't really like the essential flavor of the spirit they're drinking. I do, and therefore a cask strength Islay whisky with a drop or two of water is the perfect mixed drink, IMHO.

Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2011, 10:06:41 am »

Not my rum! While any spirit can be diluted with mixers of various types (and if that's your preference, more power to you), I prefer my to drink my spirits (including rum) straight and undiluted. Of course, that presupposes quality spirits. If you think rum needs to be consumed with coke, I'd suggest you try some of the aged rums such as Zaya (probably my favorite rum).

No, I think coke needs to be consumed with rum :D

Actually, Dr. Pepper seems to benefit sharply from dark rums... works out better than coke.  I don't do the 50-50 standard either--I'm actually surprised rum & coke is 4oz rum 4oz coke  ???  I usually do like ... an ounce of rum in a 6oz or 8oz glass, just to spice it up.  It works nicely.

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2011, 10:25:45 am »
hmmm, I'm not the right one to participate in this conversation. my consumption of soft, sugary carbonated drinks is limited to maybe 1 liter per year - and that is weighted towards ginger ale/sprite or root beer. haven't had a coke in many years. but if forced to drink coke (and no one has done that yet), I'd agree that it would benefit from a rum addition.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2011, 02:35:25 pm »
I like vodka martini's. IMO the vodka one chooses makes a big difference in the flavor. Another aspect is minimal discomfort the next day.

Vodka is a big seller. Dripping Springs is evidently all-corn. That makes it corn-liquor in my book. Except it's 80 proof. :D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2011, 01:28:41 am »
I like vodka martini's. IMO the vodka one chooses makes a big difference in the flavor. Another aspect is minimal discomfort the next day.

Vodka is a big seller. Dripping Springs is evidently all-corn. That makes it corn-liquor in my book. Except it's 80 proof. :D

Coming from a DIY perspective, vodka, gin and rum are certainly not the coke of distilled spirits.  Just as homebrew is not American light lager.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907