Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: CaraPils alternatives (two?)  (Read 20562 times)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
CaraPils alternatives (two?)
« on: September 08, 2011, 06:59:23 am »
I asked my local maltster about what he might have that's an equivalent to CaraPils. I told him it's for head retention and is also called Dextrine malt. He sent me two data sheets, and I'm not sure either will be applicable:

Caramel Wheat Malt, 90-110 EBC, Product obtained by custom malting, saccharification and roasting of specially selected wheat, to develop the aroma and colour required.
- Strongly accentuates aroma, thus giving beer a typical taste.
- Reinforces the colour of the beer.
- Enhances foam stability.
- Increases extract and thus brewing yields.
- Colour : 90 to 110 EBC (equiv. 34 to 42 degrees Lovibond).
- Moisture : 7% maximum.
- Extract : minimum 78% on dry matter.

OR

Pilsen Caramel
Product obtained by custom malting, saccharification and roasting of specially selected barley, to develop the aroma and colour required.
- Gives beer mild flavours and a pleasant, subtle taste.
- Improves the smoothness and stability of beer.
- Slightly reinforces the colour of beer.
- Colour : 20 to 30 EBC (equiv. 8 to 12 degrees Lovibond).
- Moisture : 7.5% maximum.
- Extract : minimum 75% (dry matter).

... But neither of these seem like exactly what I'm going for. I suppose I could go the caramel wheat route, which sounds interesting on its own, but that 30-45 L coloration makes me wonder about what contribution it would have (8 oz per 5 gal)
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: CaraPils alternatives (two?)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 07:20:26 am »
Obviously it is not Caramel Wheat, but I'd be willing to bet "Pilsner Caramel" is another maltster's version of CaraPils.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 07:59:02 am »
but I'd be willing to bet "Pilsner Caramel" is another maltster's version of CaraPils.

I dunno Keith - 8-12L seems more like "Carahell" than Carapils/Carafoam/Dextrin which are 2-3L.

if that's the closest thing you can get, Phil, go with it, but its likely to contribute a bit of caramel sweetness
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 08:42:00 am »
A local microbrewer uses wheat for head retention. I never tried it so I can't say how it compares to Cara-Pils. Just a thought anyway...  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 08:47:16 am »
but I'd be willing to bet "Pilsner Caramel" is another maltster's version of CaraPils.

I dunno Keith - 8-12L seems more like "Carahell" than Carapils/Carafoam/Dextrin which are 2-3L.

if that's the closest thing you can get, Phil, go with it, but its likely to contribute a bit of caramel sweetness

Yeah, you're right. I read that before my first cup of coffee today, missed the 8-12L.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 09:14:42 am »
I believe Munton's Dextrin Malt is 8-12 L. I think European CaraPils is just a tad darker than the US variety.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 09:36:42 am »
A local microbrewer uses wheat for head retention. I never tried it so I can't say how it compares to Cara-Pils. Just a thought anyway...  Cheers!!!

+1.  Lots of folks use plain ole wheat malt for head retention instead of carapils.

The other thing you might want to think about is just why are you using anything special for head retention.  If all your processes are in line then your head retention and stability should be just fine without needing to add anything.
Joe

Offline blatz

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 09:41:02 am »
FWIW - Carapils & Carafoam do contribute some flavor to the beer - the main difference between my pils and dortmunder grists are 8% Carafoam - and I can definitely taste a difference in the malt character and mouthfeel.

I know the OP was looking to use it as head retention aid, but just wanted to clarify that it isn't entirely flavourless.

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 09:43:49 am »
If you make the beer properly, you don't need either wheat or carapils for head retention.  Look at Duvel....most of us can only dream of getting foam like that, and it's only pils malt and sugar.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 10:45:57 am »
Carapils needs to die.  I just gave all of mine away.  I shall never use it again because it is worthless compared to every other malt choice on the market.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 10:52:41 am »
Have to say I kinda agree with Dave. I have not used it in years (I think the last time I used it was 7 years ago in a Pliny the Elder Clone, where I felt it was kind of a pointless addition even back then). I have no plans to ever use it in anything.

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 11:35:41 am »
Ah, re my reason for using it, it's in the recipe! Specifically Bell's THA clone. So, I don't really care too much about head retention, I haven't had much of a problem in that area (that's what she said?) but I'm not sure why it's in their recipe to begin with.  Sounds like there's no reason to use it then? I don't mind ditching it.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 11:58:17 am »
Brew a test batch without it and see what you think.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline blatz

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2011, 12:13:18 pm »
Ah, re my reason for using it, it's in the recipe! Specifically Bell's THA clone. So, I don't really care too much about head retention, I haven't had much of a problem in that area (that's what she said?) but I'm not sure why it's in their recipe to begin with.  Sounds like there's no reason to use it then? I don't mind ditching it.

who's recipe?  Sean Terrill's recipe is pretty close and he doesn't use Carapils.  IIRC, nor does Bell's in THA for that matter.  Probably won't be missed.

for all the naysayers to Carapils, there are a lot of pros (Sierra Nevada comes to mind) that use it, so I doubt your recommendation that it die will be heeded since the maltsters aren't really reliant on the 0.0000000001% of their production that we buy :D ;D

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 03:08:12 pm »
I th8ink carapils has its place.  But I also think adding it solely for foam isn't its place.

www.dennybrew.com