Author Topic: CaraPils alternatives (two?)  (Read 4601 times)

Offline kgs

• Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
    • View Profile
Re: CaraPils alternatives (two?)
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 07:52:08 AM »
In experimenting with Beersmith 2.0 for Mac, when a recipe is converted from all-grain to extract, Carafoam is added in. I took it out (since I don't have any on hand anyway) but thought that was interesting--an assumption that extract brews would need Carafoam.

Then I took a copy of the extract recipe, added 8 oz of Carafoam (it's a 3.5-gal recipe), and converted the recipe to all-grain, and the Carafoam was eliminated (still there, but at 0.0 ounces).

K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
    • View Profile
    • Yellowhammer Brewing Company
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2011, 08:48:42 AM »
The thing about CaraPils in extract is that you can't control the mash in extract, so adding it in will give you more mouthfeel. The reason I feel carapils isn't really necessary is because you can mash higher with all grain and pretty much give you the same effect as if you mashed lower and added carapils.

That said, I do agree that carapils does give some flavor enhancement, so I take it back that it is completely worthless. I just don't ever really have a need for it in my brewery.
Keith Y.

Vote Jonathan Fuller for Governing Committee!

Offline kgs

• Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2011, 11:04:18 AM »
The thing about CaraPils in extract is that you can't control the mash in extract, so adding it in will give you more mouthfeel. The reason I feel carapils isn't really necessary is because you can mash higher with all grain and pretty much give you the same effect as if you mashed lower and added carapils.

That said, I do agree that carapils does give some flavor enhancement, so I take it back that it is completely worthless. I just don't ever really have a need for it in my brewery.

All points here make sense (that it might be useful for extract brewing but isn't useful for you personally). I am experimenting with extract brewing and plan to do the same batch successively (a recipe I have done in AG several times with great results). Maybe I'll do it without Carapils to start with and then try it next time with Carapils. Other variations include with and without a mini-mash.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member