Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: $12,000 per serving??  (Read 3535 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
$12,000 per serving??
« on: September 20, 2011, 10:13:58 am »
You gotta be kidding me.....a $200K bottle of whisk(e)y

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/20/bottle-of-whisky-sells-for-200000/?&hpt=hp_c2
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Re: $12,000 per serving??
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 10:19:59 am »
This is an example of the things that make me shake my head at the world and be very very frustrated.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 10:24:35 am »
That's $13.30 a drop.  :o

Really puts the meaning into "good to the last drop".

I hope he doesn't get drunk and spill it.

Ron Price

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 10:37:18 am »
Outrageous.  No reason it needs to be that expensive.  None.  It's still whiskey and it still tastes like s***.
Jesse

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 11:54:31 am »
Evidently there are "wine" and "spirits" banks where one can store their shrewd "investments". It'll never be consumed.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline glastctbrew

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 12:08:15 pm »
I never understood how something that was meant to be enjoyed through consumption could cost so much but hey, I brew beer, you know, the commoners drink.  ;)
Scott
Still Hill Brewery

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 01:05:19 pm »
I guess it's like investing in art.  Something to look at and hope it appreciates based on the perception of it's value. 

I could never have a bottle of whisky like that around me though.  The temptation would be too great to see what the big deal was about  ;)
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 01:07:43 pm »
Look at it this way...it's a lot cheaper than your average plate of dinner at a bigwig political fundraiser!

Anyway, with 62 years of aging, it's more like you are paying the distillery back-rent!   ;D

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 04:03:40 pm »
Evidently there are "wine" and "spirits" banks where one can store their shrewd "investments". It'll never be consumed.

Which means that no one knows what it should taste like. 

With extremely rare and old wines (mostly Bordeaux) , there are recent scandals of people selling bottles that may, or may not, have been refilled with newer wine.

Since no one today can truly say what a bottle from the 40s would taste like, it's hard to know what you're drinking.

The market for rare whiskey's is probably not as robust but how would you know if you're bottle of whiskey really had been aged for 62 years?

I'd rather buy something I could truly enjoy drinking and then go out and get more of it.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 05:01:07 pm »
It's the age pre-bottle that is important. Once the spirit is in the bottle it doesn't matter how old it is or how long it sits since the maturation is finished.  The rarity of this particular whiskey is what makes it so valuable.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 05:35:49 pm »
Yes and no. Wine will continue to age in the bottle although spirits will not.

Old bottles of spirits do have value (more so the rarer/older they are). Scotch from the 1850s has sold for nearly 30k, although it is still technically only 12 year old scotch.

My point, however, was how would you know that what you're drinking is really what it is supposed to be?  I doubt anyone would buy two bottles of 200k scotch to compare them. Again, more of an issue with wine where such fraud has been documented.

It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 02:37:35 am »
Yeah but it's in an airport duty-free shop. Sorry, but that's just a ripoff/free advertising for the distiller. If super-old whisky is your thing, you can get 70-year-old whisky from Glenlivet, put into barrels in 1940: http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-14040.aspx Paying that much for a bottle of anything is just being stupid with your money and/or trying to show off. I can totally understand putting a few hundred for a bottle of truly exceptional wine and even a few thousand for exceptional whisky, but otherwise... eh. The most money I ever paid for a whisky was for a 1978 Signatory Vintage Ardmore (the older brother of this guy: http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-13532.aspx) and that was because it was 1. on sale and 2. for a buddy's wedding. I bought the bottle back in 2007 and I just finished it two weeks ago. $150 spread over four years comes out to about $38 a year, which is a deal.

I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!