Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brew Pub capacity  (Read 7326 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Re: Brew Pub capacity
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 09:15:34 am »
I agree completely.  The other thing this area is missing is a mid to high level restaurant which is also a factor in my planning.  We have lots of burgers and such but something that fits into the "gastropub" style is no where to be found.  If my wife and I want to go out for a nice dinner, maybe something special for a birthday or special occasion, we have to travel at least 45 minutes to find something a bit nicer. 

I'm not naive enough to think that opening a brew pub will be a fun time hanging out with my friends and listening to them tell me how good my beer is.  I know that the food has to be the primary focus and I'd also suggest that having a good wine list (again, not available around here) would be beneficial as well.

I'm finding it hard to figure out the red-tape and government bureaucracy around even getting licenses to brew for public consumption.  Alcohol regulations here in Ontario are a real pain and may be a bit more convoluted than US regulations.  In fact, I can't seem to even find out where to go to get information.  I'm hoping to get some help from an actual micro-brewery but I haven't had much luck there either (although I've just started).

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2011, 12:45:46 pm »
I don't know if Canada has an equivalent, but there is a program called SCORE (partly funded by the Federal Small Business Association) that provides free business help for small businesses. Pros in different industries volunteer to answer questions for people. It's something I've found really useful in my own self-employed adventures.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2011, 06:40:55 am »
Have you tried contacting The Ontario Craft Brewers?  An individual micro-brewery might not put it as a priority to get back to you, but the association that is supposed to be promoting the craft should (hopefully) want to help get other businesses up and running.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 10:01:33 am »
I'm far from any type of expert on this subject, other than a customer. 

In my town, a local tavern owner installed a small 2bbl system.  They always have three different beers of their own on tap, and usually more.  They don't sell outside the tavern.  They also have the best tap selection in town of other beers.  They installed this about 8 years ago, and they brew four days a week.  This past summer, they began constructing a production brewery a few miles away.  This will be a 20bbl system when operating. 

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 03:09:31 pm »
Have you tried contacting The Ontario Craft Brewers?  An individual micro-brewery might not put it as a priority to get back to you, but the association that is supposed to be promoting the craft should (hopefully) want to help get other businesses up and running.

Well, I contacted them and am still awaiting a reply.  Not finding them any more helpful than others.  I'll keep working on it.