Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Electric 5500 w heating element  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Kyle Maynard

• 1st Kit
Electric 5500 w heating element
« on: November 03, 2019, 07:17:32 pm »
Hello Brewers ,

I'm new to the forum Hello !

I'm need help and I'm praying that one of the members can answer my question below

I just purchased a 5500w 240/220 v heating element for my boiler and it only has 2 poles so my question is this do I have to ground it if so how becaus it only has the 2 poles and my pigtail has 3 so should I just ignor the ground wire which in this case is the center wire of my pigtail  , I know that the 2 outside wires are hot and supply 110 v ea to the ellimate .

I hope that somones able to help me and keep me from getting fried ,  I hate messing with electricity

I'm looking forward to your answers

Thanks
Kyle M.

Online Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Electric 5500 w heating element
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 08:11:09 pm »
Never ignore the ground. Also, be sure to use a GFCI circuit for anything that is used in or near water or outdoors. Best advice; if you aren't sure hire a qualified electrician. The difference could mean your life.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Black Lion Homebrewery

• Cellarman
Re: Electric 5500 w heating element
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2019, 07:50:46 am »
The ground should be attached to the element housing or the boiler (both should be electrically connected together).  The intent is to ground the kettle so if there is an electrical fault you don't become the easiest path for the electricity