Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kitchen sink - is simple better  (Read 7031 times)

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Kitchen sink - is simple better
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 05:30:17 pm »
Ah malt hopper....... you see, when all you have is 12 bags of different ingredients in small quantities putting them all in there and letting it do its thing IS the simple solution.
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

narvin

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 06:53:33 pm »

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2011, 07:06:09 pm »
How will you know if you don't try. I do a "clean out" brew often. It only affects those who brew to style, what ever that is. Just make sure to write everything down in case you like it.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2011, 07:45:41 pm »
How will you know if you don't try. I do a "clean out" brew often. It only affects those who brew to style, what ever that is. Just make sure to write everything down in case you like it.

Best answer yet.  On all counts.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2011, 08:14:59 pm »
I pride myself on not brewing to style, but I've decided that my simpler recipes turn out at least as good if not better than when I just throw stuff into the mash tun hoping for the best.  I've even simplified to the point that I only keep Crystal 60 and 120 on hand, Special B, CaraVienne and a few roasted malts.  If I can't brew it (whatever it is)with those I don't need to brew.  I have bags of things like aromatic, victory, biscuit etc that I've never found a need for-now they're so old I really need to just compost them.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2011, 07:01:44 am »
Maybe part of the reason kitchen sink beers surprise us is that we have fewer expectations for them. There is no specific style or taste we are trying to replicate, so we just evaluate the finished beer for what it is, not what it could have been.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2011, 08:58:44 am »
My problem is that I have probably 20+ specialty grains in my stash and when I go down to the cave to put together a grist I open the tubs and there they are all calling to me.  So I'm the worst about adding a lot of ingredients.  I do think theres a certain amount of muddling that happens when you do this.
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2011, 10:40:48 am »
It only affects those who brew to style, what ever that is.

See, I'll disagree with that. Even as someone who brews wildly complex beers (and not really to style). A muddled malt profile is a muddled malt profile no matter if you make a brown ale or Beechum's Kitchen Sink and it may not be a universal axiom, but it sure feels like one to say that muddled anything is bad.
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2011, 12:04:39 pm »
it may not be a universal axiom, but it sure feels like one to say that muddled anything is bad.
A mojito doesn't taste right if the mint is not properly muddled. ;)
Tom Schmidlin

jaybeerman

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2011, 12:31:45 pm »
as someone who brews wildly complex beers (and not really to style). A muddled malt profile is a muddled malt profile

I'm fine with this statement.  

general statement
My original post wasn't meant to be an anti-style shout out, nor was I saying that haphazardly throwing grain at a recipe will result in a drinkable beer.  I did a considerable amount of thinking before I made that stout.  I even decided to take out all the munich and dark munich that I had as leftovers and put them towards another grainbill.  If I had looked at my leftover grains (munich(s) included) with the SO-4 and decided that I should brew a pale ale then there would be a problem, that would have been a horribly muddled beer.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 01:11:54 pm by jaybeerman »

Offline pinetree

• 1st Kit
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2011, 02:24:51 pm »
Just be sure to submit it to "The Journal of Irreproducible Results."

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2011, 02:48:18 pm »
Everything but the kitchen sink can work but the couple I have done were disasters.  Of course YMMV.   ;D

I do this type of thing in the kitchen all the time.  The worst part of "leftovers cordon what?" is when the kids keep asking for it again.  I hate having to tell them I have no idea what was in it.  I have the same issue with Anything's Left Ale or Leftovers Lager, I'd hate for it to turn out great and have no way to brew it again.  Of course I tend to think of taking notes about 20 minutes too late most days.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

jaybeerman

« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2011, 02:54:09 pm »

why would it be irreproducible?  don't you take notes on your brews?

jaybeerman

« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2011, 03:03:59 pm »
The worst part of "leftovers cordon what?" is when the kids keep asking for it again.  I hate having to tell them I have no idea what was in it.  I have the same issue with Anything's Left Ale or Leftovers Lager, I'd hate for it to turn out great and have no way to brew it again.  Of course I tend to think of taking notes about 20 minutes too late most days.

Paul

"leftovers cordon what?"  :D i like that the kids ask for it again - funny, i'm not sure if that's a good sign or a bad sign.  :) I think that kitchen sink beers can benefit from the same mindset though, it's not just dumping everything in, it's making the best of what you have.  I was the same way about note taking until the brew that broke the camels back, I just hate it when you're thoroughly enjoying eating a meal or drinking a beer and you have no way to reproduce it.  cheers, j

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2011, 04:25:42 pm »

why would it be irreproducible?  don't you take notes on your brews?

+1 though I don't always.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis