Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BJCP category  (Read 7505 times)

Offline bernman

• Cellarman
BJCP category
« on: September 09, 2011, 06:53:02 pm »
What BJCP category would I enter a Coconut Porter in?

Thanks

Bernie

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: BJCP category
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 07:12:21 pm »
Category 21 Spice/Herb/Vegetable Beer has descriptions of nut-based beers, so I think it would belong in that category.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 08:23:48 pm »
Coconut is considered to be a fruit and a seed, so it could also fall under the fruit category. This is a fruit unlike others, in that we might use the milk for fermentation purposes but I'm not an expert on coconuts. I would go with Cat 20 or 21.
Ron Price

Offline woadwarrior

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 06:47:26 am »
As a guess, I'd say it would depend on what part of the coconut was used.
That being said, coconut? Really? Coconut? ???

Offline bernman

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 07:22:02 am »
Yes, coconut. I toasted some flaked coconut until golden brown and then put it in a mesh bag and added to secondary for about a week. I am going to be sending it out on Monday for a comp and was not sure what category to enter it in.

Thanks

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 07:52:55 am »
21A
from the comments
This category may also be used for chile pepper, coffee-, chocolate-, or nut-based beers (including combinations of these items).
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 09:54:05 am »
Coconuts aren't neither botanical nuts nor like what people think of when they say nut (such as almonds or peanuts which are not botanical nuts either), so I think the guidelines could be clearer on coconut, since the question comes up so much.

The way I think about it is that in category 20 people expect things that are commonly considered fruits and I don't think coconut is in that category so it should go in 21. I would make the same argument for tomatoes.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 10:44:01 am »
About 12-13 years ago, a toasted coconut porter took the NHC.  I'll see if I can find out what category it was.  Maybe Gordon would know.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 06:02:17 pm »
About 12-13 years ago, a toasted coconut porter took the NHC.  I'll see if I can find out what category it was.  Maybe Gordon would know.

Here's the first citation from the Zymurgy archive:

Toasted Coconut Porter   Fujiura    Homebrew Recipes    21   4   November/December 1998

It shows up again 5 years later:

Toasted Coconut Porter   Fujiura    Homebrew Recipes   26   6   November/December 2003

I don't see how to pull that recipe from the archive (is it full-text and I'm missing the link?), though I see recipes on the web that claim to be this one. My library's databases don't include Zymurgy or I'd have tried that way.

K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 07:03:36 pm »

I judged Fujiura-san's mild (twice including BOS, where it won) this summer in Japan. Really good damn mild. I looked online and the same recipe shows up everywhere including on the green board where someone pasted verbatim text from an email, so it seems legit. He is legendary in Japan for this beer. Apparently he got a bit of a hand slap when Zymurgy published that he won (homebrewing is not legal in Japan if the alcohol is greater than 1%, it is pretty well decriminalized though).

Back to the point. I would argue under the 1998 guidelines that coconut beers should go in fruit beer. It would be interesting to know where this was entered.

Under the 2008 guidelines, the SHV category specifically says nut based beers go there. I think that is vague, but I know Gordon believes (because he said so on the BJCP board) that should include coconut so I believe that was the intent. The coconut question comes up A LOT and I think it would be a good idea to clarify in the next revision.

Offline bernman

• Cellarman
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 05:42:12 pm »
I will enter it in category 21 A.

Thanks

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 08:24:20 am »
21a is the right place.  I'll clarify in the next set of guidelines.  The intent of fruit vs SHV beers is to keep to the culinary interpretation of the ingredient not the botanical one.  If (God help us) you made a tomato beer, it would be entered in 21a not 20.  Coconut tastes more like macadamia nuts and cashews than it does raspberries and cherries.  So it goes in 21.  I thought 'nut' was good enough, but apparently not.  That was the intent, though.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 08:48:39 am »
If (God help us) you made a tomato beer, it would be entered in 21a not 20.

Ever heard of a "Redeye" ?  Technically a blend but still tomato
Joe

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 08:51:32 am »
If (God help us) you made a tomato beer, it would be entered in 21a not 20.

Ever heard of a "Redeye" ?  Technically a blend but still tomato

But where would budweiser with clamato fit in the BJCP categories?
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 09:05:48 am »
Cat 0.  Dump Bucket.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong