Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keg Conversion  (Read 3778 times)

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
Keg Conversion
« on: September 04, 2011, 12:13:55 pm »
I've been looking at these for a while. Apparently, my wife noticed because this morning she gave me one for my birthday! Really looking forward to fermenting all 10 gallons in the same vessel!

http://www.brewershardware.com/American-Sanke-Keg-Fermenter-Kit-with-Thermowell.html

Anyone out there have any experience with this kit?
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Keg Conversion
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 01:28:51 pm »
Nice, I'd love to read a review after you've had a chance to use it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline fightdman

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 08:40:33 am »
I just started fermenting in a keg using  a heated and stretched carboy cap over the keg opening.  Let me tell you, transfering under pressure IS THE BOMB! (and not meaning the keg is exploding  ;) )  I just purchased a 1/4" barb to 1/4" female NPT and connected that to a 1/4" male flare fitting and my CO2 line's female flare fitting connects to that.  The barb goes into the small carboy cap tube and of course, the stainless racking cane goes into the large carboy cap tube.  Both the barb and the racking cane are secured to the carboy cap with screw clamps.  The tube from the racking cane connects to a ball lock disconnect, so the whole process is under CO2.   2 psi gets everything moving with the pressure relief valve left open during the process.  I'll never rack again any other way!  So easy!

My set-up is a lot cheaper that $80, so why am I still considering the tri-clamp solution?  Well, the internal thermowell is nice. The ability to hold the racking steady is also nice.  Is it $80 worth of nice?  I don't know. :-\
GAVDIVM MIHI VAE TIBI

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 11:26:02 am »
I too, would love to hear a report on how this thing works.

Until I can afford the above gadget, anyone know if a stick-on thermometer would give an accurate reading for fermentations?  Concerned the keg walls would be too thick to measure accurately.

Loving the idea of closed C02 transfers, both from process control and back-saving standpoints (i.e. lifting a full fermenter to siphoning-height), but don't use carboys.  However, with these couple sankeys sitting here...

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 02:32:48 pm »
Heat transfer through a stainless keg will be better than through a glass carboy.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gimmeales

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 03:57:02 pm »
Excellent - that answers my question.  Thanks, Tom!

Of course, one benefit of the keg fermenter is being able to boil to sanitize - not gonna work well with a stick-on thermometer, me thinks  ::)

Offline jimrod

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 10:11:36 am »
How do you get the keg clean? Especially underneath the lid.
I've got an old keg that just doesn't want to come clean.
Any suggestions?
The liver is evil and must be punished

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 10:45:35 am »
How do you get the keg clean? Especially underneath the lid.
I've got an old keg that just doesn't want to come clean.
Any suggestions?

This is why I'm leaning towards converting a 10 gallon Corni into a fermenter.  I like the idea of being able to scrub the inner surfaces.  Any suggestions on material/sources to build a thermowell?
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2011, 10:53:23 am »
Just as you would clean a Corny keg, you'll need to use a hot PBW soak overnight then a hot rinse and sanitizer to get the keg clean for use during the next ferment. It's certainly doable. There are pros and cons just like anything else. It's a personal choice.
Ron Price

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 11:20:39 am »
I just started fermenting in a keg using  a heated and stretched carboy cap over the keg opening.  Let me tell you, transfering under pressure IS THE BOMB! (and not meaning the keg is exploding  ;) )  I just purchased a 1/4" barb to 1/4" female NPT and connected that to a 1/4" male flare fitting and my CO2 line's female flare fitting connects to that.  The barb goes into the small carboy cap tube and of course, the stainless racking cane goes into the large carboy cap tube.  Both the barb and the racking cane are secured to the carboy cap with screw clamps.  The tube from the racking cane connects to a ball lock disconnect, so the whole process is under CO2.   2 psi gets everything moving with the pressure relief valve left open during the process.  I'll never rack again any other way!  So easy!

My set-up is a lot cheaper that $80, so why am I still considering the tri-clamp solution?  Well, the internal thermowell is nice. The ability to hold the racking steady is also nice.  Is it $80 worth of nice?  I don't know. :-\
+1, I use the tall "slim" quarter kegs - 7.75 gallons each. I found a single piece 1/4" hose barb to 1/4" male flare fitting that works great. I had some thermowells made out of old diptubes so I can control the fermentation temperature with a RANCO.  I clean them by filling them with hot PBW.  A lot of the gunk is at the top so I use a carboy brush to clean the top just to be sure.
Brew on

Offline tallcall

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2011, 01:21:33 pm »
I have one that I have used for 5 or so batches works great. The only problem that I had was the first time I used it the clamps I had on the blow off tube weren't tight enough. Thought I had a bad batch of yeast because I wasn't getting any bubbles. Checked SG and it was lower than when I started. Tightened the clamps and started bubbling away. Yes, it is a bit pricey but it is really pretty. :)
 As far as cleaning the keg I have a 1/16 horsepower submersible pump with a piece of 3/4" copper pipe that sticks about 18" into the keg. I put the pump into a bucket of PBW and the keg upside down over it.Turn on the pump and come back in an hour or two and the keg is sparkling clean. Also works great for carboys and corny kegs.