18 (18%)
Won't buy some.
9 (9%)
Might buy some.
7 (7%)
may try a sample if you hand me your home brew but I don't want a full pint
5 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 67

Author Topic: Pumpkin Beer  (Read 7972 times)

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
Pumpkin Beer
« on: September 10, 2011, 06:06:24 am »
My club is doing an informal pumpkin beer comp.
Personally I have no desire to brew one. If you like them that's cool, to each his/her own.
 It's one of those things where I think , why would you want to screw up a perfectly good beer by adding a large orange squash. ???
Just wanted to see what others think.
Dan S. from NJ

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Pumpkin Beer
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 06:48:41 am »
You should add, "may try a sample if you hand me your home brew but I don't want a full pint."
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline bernman

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 07:24:54 am »
I started one a couple weeks ago. It's the thrid pumpkin ale I have brewed in the last 4 years.

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 07:31:55 am »
My wife & I will be brewing one next weekend.  I don't think adding the pumpkin to the beer is such a bad thing as it really doesn't add much flavor.  What usually turns people off to pumpkin beers are the spices.  I personally like pumpkin beers this time of the year.  I guess it just goes with autumn.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 07:33:40 am »
Have had Dogfish Head Punkin and thought it was Ok.  So I had to check "might" buy some.
Joe

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 08:44:01 am »
You should add, "may try a sample if you hand me your home brew but I don't want a full pint."

done
Dan S. from NJ

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 09:08:27 am »

done

Dang, I already voted.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 07:52:37 pm »
I don't see a "no pants" option...
Jesse

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 08:11:54 pm »
never tried one i wanted to keep drinking.  this style has never made sense to me.  pumpkin belongs in pies.   
cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2011, 01:44:41 am »

My wife & I will be brewing one next weekend.  I don't think adding the pumpkin to the beer is such a bad thing as it really doesn't add much flavor.  What usually turns people off to pumpkin beers are the spices.  I personally like pumpkin beers this time of the year.  I guess it just goes with autumn.

Feels like Autumn, indeed. I've been brewing a pumpkin porter every season for the last 4 years. Its a really good beer that comes in around 7.5%-8%. I got the recipe from Sam G's Extreme Brewing and converted it to all grain. Its a little different from the typical pumpkin ale you find out there. The spicing is low key but you know its there. Its one of the beers I look forward to brewing and having around for the holidays. I usually pour the first pint on Halloween and keep it on through the end of the year.
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Offline andrew

• Assistant Brewer
  • Lake Charles / Sweet Lake, LA
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 06:27:15 am »

It does seem that either you love'em or you hate'em with the spices being the sticking point. The cinnamon is what kills me. Its fine as long as its just a hint since that stuff can over whelm it easily.

I'll be brewing up one as soon as the store gets in some pumpkins which probably wont be until a couple weeks from now. Next year I plan on growing my own pumpkins so I wont have to wait on them.
Andrew Tingler

In bottles or on tap: porter, quad, and wit
Secondary: empty
Primary: empty
On Deck: Blackberry Stout and Irish Red

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2011, 09:28:42 am »

It does seem that either you love'em or you hate'em with the spices being the sticking point. The cinnamon is what kills me. Its fine as long as its just a hint since that stuff can over whelm it easily.

I'll be brewing up one as soon as the store gets in some pumpkins which probably wont be until a couple weeks from now. Next year I plan on growing my own pumpkins so I wont have to wait on them.

I can definitely understand how too much cinnamon would be unpleasant.  What I tend to find is that most examples, including commercial ones, have too much clove.  Even in a pumpkin pie too much clove, or cinnamon, is not pleasant.

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2011, 11:05:56 am »
I brewed one up and it's still in the primary, but is almost ready to be racked to the secondary I would say.  Another gravity reading today and tomorrow will tell me. 

Anyway, I thought I overdid it when I mixed up the spices, but after tasting my hydrometer sample i think I'm right where I want to be.  I was debating whether or not to add a small amount of vanilla to the secondary, but I don't think i want to do that now, it seems really balanced.  The base beer is a brown ale. 
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline linenoiz

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 11:07:42 am »
I had been planning on brewing one this year. I had never had one and the idea sounded appealing as I loves me some pumpkin pie. Last week I saw a local brewery put out their seasonal pumpkin beer, so I picked up a six pack. I took one sip and said "Oh. So that's what that tastes like..."

I will not be brewing one now.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 11:57:00 am »
I had been planning on brewing one this year. I had never had one and the idea sounded appealing as I loves me some pumpkin pie. Last week I saw a local brewery put out their seasonal pumpkin beer, so I picked up a six pack. I took one sip and said "Oh. So that's what that tastes like..."

I will not be brewing one now.
Don't decide based on what may have been a poorly done version of the beer.  Try a few different ones and you may find that you like them after all.  I recommend Southern Tier Pumking, Elysian Great Pumpkin, and Dogfish Head Punkin.
Tom Schmidlin