Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Unmalted Wheat in Saison  (Read 2165 times)

Offline kirkshoulderroll

• 1st Kit
Unmalted Wheat in Saison
« on: September 10, 2011, 07:34:02 am »
Looking for advice. I accidentally picked up unmalted wheat instead of malted for a saison. It's less than 5% of the grist, and I'll do an infusion mash at 145F. Wondering if I should

a)omit the unmalted wheat
b)keep it but do a protein rest
c)just mash it at 145 with everything else.

I'm not concerned about brewing this to style. Thanks for suggestions.

[Full Disclosure: Cross-posted at NB Forum, but looking for any advice I can get.  Thanks.]  :)

Mark

narvin

Re: Unmalted Wheat in Saison
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 07:52:05 am »
With that amount, I'd just throw it in.  I've done Saisons with a much larger percentage of raw grain, and they turn out fine, but I do a beta glucan and protein rest for those.

One other thing is that crushing raw wheat can be a pain.  Set your mill gap tight!

Offline kirkshoulderroll

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 08:05:58 pm »
Excellent. I appreciate the advice.   :)

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 12:44:38 pm »
After you crush the unmalted wheat, you probably won't use whole unmalted kernels again. It's a huge PITA. I've found the best way to crush it is to run it through the mill a couple times at slightly decreasing gaps.
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.

narvin

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 01:13:10 pm »
After you crush the unmalted wheat, you probably won't use whole unmalted kernels again. It's a huge PITA. I've found the best way to crush it is to run it through the mill a couple times at slightly decreasing gaps.

A corona mill is great for grinding unmalted grains to flour, and toning your body!