Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lager Candy Sweetness  (Read 5210 times)

Offline thcipriani

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Lager Candy Sweetness
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 06:52:02 pm »
At first I was thinking that there's not way this could be oxidation - everything's under CO2 on the cold-side; however, as I'm tasting this beer with oxidation in mind I think that might be it - unfortunately.  The system I've been using is I mash and sparge on my stove and then haul a 15gallon kettle full of wort down 7 flights of stairs, sloshing it the whole way, and then boil and haul the fermentor back up the stairs. I hadn't noticed any deleterious effects of this method, but I haven't been doing any structured tastings or delicate beers, so...

Just when you think you've got a process nailed down...I got so spoiled doing the first half of the brew day indoors.
Tyler Cipriani
Longmont, CO
http://gangsta.party/

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: September 07, 2011, 08:53:15 pm »
While sitting at 1.014, I wouldn't suggest a candy-like sweetness. So what else could it be... :-\

Oxidation is a potential problem.

You can always send a bottle out to be judged. I would gladly do that for you. Not that it will change your perception but it may shed some light on the situation.

Try doing a blind tasting up against some of the commercial examples to get a flavor comparison.
Ron Price

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 12:01:51 pm »
The way you described it developing fits with what would happen with transfer-related oxidation.  I took that into account as part of the clues present.

Oxidation can give honey, caramel, and fruity notes, as well as dulling some of the other flavors.  When you mix those all together, your brain might interpret that as candy sweetness.  Beer has a lot of compounds in it, and those oxidize into many differently-tasting components.  Hard to say if it's what you have, but you can probably tell more over time as these flavors will just grow.  The bitterness can grow more coarse/harsh and thus seem more bitter.  Other flavors dull, which changes the balance.  Anyhow, that's how I perceive it.  YMMV.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong