Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Extract to All Grain???  (Read 5458 times)

Offline cycleak

• 1st Kit
  • Aloha and Cheers to Brewing Beer!
Re: Extract to All Grain???
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 06:35:59 pm »
Thanks for all the replies!  I greatly appreciate everyone taking the time to post their thoughts and experiences!  All grain brewing sounds fun but time consuming and a little exepensive to get into to.  Nonetheless, it's sounds like it might be time to take the next step. Mahalo!!!!

Prost!!!!
😎🤙🍺🏝

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 07:34:11 am »
Thanks for all the replies!  I greatly appreciate everyone taking the time to post their thoughts and experiences!  All grain brewing sounds fun but time consuming and a little exepensive to get into to.  Nonetheless, it's sounds like it might be time to take the next step. Mahalo!!!!

Prost!!!!

Very little expense is required except building a cheap mash tun and like the Professor commented, it will pay back very quickly.

Time wise there is some more added with the extra mashing schedule. Learn to multi-task and when you are through, cleaning the boil kettle and the cooling device is all that is left. For me start to finish is less than 5 hours and this includes weighing and crushing grain which I do as the strike water is heating up. You can save even more time by setting up the burners, etc. the day before.

Take the plunge as soon as you can.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 07:36:05 am by tubercle »
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline sharg54

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2011, 08:39:08 pm »
The only real thing I can see from switching to all grain is you will have to buy a little more equipment in order to do the mash and you will have to learn to control your temps as well. Same pots and good quality beer from an extract brew but the price is a lot lower going all grain and as has been said it lends to a lot more flexibility when it comes to designing a brew. I can brew the same beer from an extract as I can from all grain but the price changes dramatically. For a batch of stout with extract and special grans I may pay 30 or so buck for it but for all grain I may only have to pay 20 or so. Also if you really get into it you can make your own specialty grains from your base malt and save and add your own touch to the batch. Making my own grains out of my malt has cut cost down to about 12 buck for a 5 gallon batch and has led to some very nice brews. It totally depends on how far you want to get into it. If you just go basic all grain and buy all your malts the equipment will pay for its self in a few batches by not buying extract. It takes a little more time but I think the trade is worth it.
People keep telling me it's not rocket science... I like rockets..