Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Where Were You on the Morning of 9/11/01?  (Read 3700 times)

Offline cheba420

• Brewer
  • Can I get a beer up in here?
    • The Beer Research Institute
Re: Where Were You on the Morning of 9/11/01?
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 09:26:29 pm »
I was still in bed. My wife got a call from her mom who was stuck at the airport in Chicago, grounded. She came in and woke me up to tell me that her mom was grounded. We turned on the TV and watched the rest of it go down before we went to work. I remember listening to Howard Stern on the way into work, reporting from NYC. I remember the emothion and confusion that morning. Heavy, heavy stuff.
Matt
Mesa, AZ.

On Tap: Vanilla Porter, Belgian Blonde, Saison, Black IPA, Punkin Porter
Primary: Pale 31 Clone, Raspberry Cider
Secondary: Vanilla Porter
Conditioning: Brett IPA
Bottles:Mosaic Wheat
On Deck: Flanders Red, Berliner weisse, Punkin Saison, Saison Brett

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 10:29:01 pm »
I was a junior in high school. We didn't get let out early or anything. I remember getting in to school in the morning and having the TV on in the journalism room. We watched everything happen from there, but me being young and naive didn't really understand what was happening. Later that day I drove around taking photos of the reactions around the county - prayer rooms open, huge lines at the gas stations. There were four or five gas stations who would later get sued by the attorney general for price gouging. Saw some prices go up to $5 a gallon ... from $1.05.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline ethalacker

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2011, 02:00:44 am »
I was living in Japan at the time.  So while at dinner my friends wife got a text a plane had crashed into one of the towers.  We asked the owner to turn on the TV and watched to second plane hit.
BoneHead Brewery
Mableton, GA

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2011, 06:35:57 am »
I was in my office in Boston listening to the Dennis & Callahan sports radio show on WEEI.  John Dennis' daughter was in NYC on the phone detailing what was going on.  I ran to the cafeteria to watch the TV ( with several others ) and we were all looking out the windows at the planes leaving Logan ( before they knew what was going on and grounded all airplanes ).   I was working at the Westin Hotel which is right in the middle of the 2 tallest building in Boston ( Hancock & The Pru ).

Ten years ago today, we had to evacuate the hotel because a name on the terrorist watch list was registered at our hotel.  Quite a site to see the FBI raiding the hotel in full gear carrying shields.  Scary.  Turned out to be a false alarm, but everyone was certainly on edge.

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2011, 08:35:02 am »
I opted not to watch any 911 footage today.

+1, didn't even turn on the tv yesterday
Joe

Offline Slowbrew

• The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2011, 09:54:20 am »
I was driving my kids to school.  The radio was on in the back ground.  I heard something about a plane hitting a building but wasn't really paying attention.  I think I was running through a spelling list with one of the kids.  I dripped them off and started listening a bit more.  I parked the truck at work and walked in just in time to see the 2nd plane hit.  I asked if that was footage of "the" plane and the person beside said "no it was a second plane live on TV".

Productivity went to zero pretty much the rest of the day.  We put the footage up in the video conferencing rooms and on the wall sized screens in the training rooms.  The bank I work for had an office in Tower 2.  A good share of the day was spent trying to find people we knew.  Luckily for us in IT the folks we knew were stuck on trains and such and never made it in.  Others were not so lucky.

As for yesterday, I never turned on radio or TV.  9/11/2007 is the day my Dad died.  I chose to think about him instead.

Paul

*** Edited to correct a spelling error.
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2011, 11:22:34 am »
I was in Algebra II class my senior year of high school.  We still went from class to class when the bell rang, it was weird.  I don't think a class was taught all day though.  We had TV's in the classrooms, so they were tuned in to the news.  It was a strange day, very sad.  Can't believe it's been 10 years already...........
Jesse

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2011, 11:57:09 am »
Being on the West Coast and a late riser, the live action was done by the time I woke. I remember sitting bleary eyed in front of the TV trying to get my brain online. Roommate flipped on the TV and it was on FX networks of all places and we saw the video of the planes striking the towers. I still remember my first thought was "What sort of weird movie is FX showing now?" before it finally sunk in that this was no movie.

Still went to work that day and we still did our jobs cause what the hell else were we supposed to do?
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2011, 03:26:10 pm »
I was a sophomore in high school, in band class.  Someone told me a plane hit the world trade center and I thought he was screwing with me, because he was the kind of person that would try to get people to believe stories like that. 

Spent the rest of the day watching the news in every class. 

My dad watched the whole thing from his office building in Newark, NJ.  My dad's been a Risk Manager for 21 years. He knew quite a few people from the insurance broker Marsh who had offices in the north tower where the plane hit.  Some were really good family friends of ours.
Homebrewed since 2010