General Category > Equipment and Software

Ice Cube MLT conversion

(1/3) > >>

realbeerguy:
Trying to convert a 60 Gal Ice Cube.  This is the one with the drain about 1-1/2" from the bottom & at a 45Degree angle.  The wheel axel connects both wheels creating a hump on the inside. 

Will Denny's braid work on this? Or will there be about 2-3" of wort left in the Tun.

aledawg:

--- Quote from: realbeerguy on January 09, 2010, 03:05:47 PM ---Trying to convert a 60 Gal Ice Cube.  This is the one with the drain about 1-1/2" from the bottom & at a 45Degree angle.  The wheel axel connects both wheels creating a hump on the inside. 

Will Denny's braid work on this? Or will there be about 2-3" of wort left in the Tun.

--- End quote ---

Hey Realbeerguy!

I don't know about Denny's braid, but I tried a couple of "braid-like" ideas and decided they wouldn't work.  I "created" a bottom-resting  drain manifold from CPVC.  I then used a couple of angled CPVC couplings to hook into the manifold into the drain itself (equipped with a 1/2" stainless steel fitting going into a 1/2" CPVC coupling.

The design leaves about 2 cups of water behind when doing "dry runs".  Cost of the CPVS manifold was less than $10!

Sorry I can't describe it better.  PM me and, I'll be happy to send a picture of the inside of the cooler once I get my carboys off the top of it tomorrow after bottling!   :)

Best,

Eivind

yugamrap:
I also use a CPVC manifold in my 60-quart Igloo, but I think a braid could work, too.  The key is to establish a good siphon when you collect your wort.  Here's a picture of how my manifold is configured.  The manifold has slots cut into the CPVC that rests on the bottom.  I cut them with a hacksaw, and they're about 1/2" apart.

a10t2:
With that configuration, if you wanted to use a braid, I think you would be better off cutting a new hole near the bottom.

hokerer:
Shouldn't need to cut a new hole.  As long as you have the two elbows (in the picture above), you could just attach a braid instead of the manifold shown.  Both (manifold or braid) should work equally for batch sparging and leave you about the same amount of deadspace.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version