Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Custom bottles  (Read 3330 times)

Offline daft_brew

• 1st Kit
Custom bottles
« on: September 11, 2011, 09:57:34 am »
As I start to ramp up my holiday brewing, I'm looking for distinct bottles. Not only in design, but color. For instance, I'd really like to have some black glass swing top bottles for my stout, but I can't seem to find anything like that online. I've found a few sites that allow for square-ish bottles or maybe 3-4 designs that aren't typical, but I'm looking for a bit more. Anyone have ideas/resources I could look into?

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
Re: Custom bottles
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 11:21:33 am »
I've looked around and it seams difficult to get interesting bottles when your not buying by the truckload.  My best luck has been finding a commercial bottle I like that's not too expensive and drinking a lot.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 12:52:06 pm »
I looked around on google and while there were some interesting clear bottles there is nothing like you are describing. Fantastic idea but maybe impossible to implement. :-\ Keep looking.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 01:48:11 pm »
For instance, I'd really like to have some black glass swing top bottles for my stout, but I can't seem to find anything like that online.

Maybe try......

:)
Joe

Offline daft_brew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 12:09:06 pm »
Well, that sucks. Perhaps I should befriend a glassblower. Rust-oleum's a nice touch. Might add somethin' special to my brews.

"What's this fine vintage you have here?"
"Saison de spraycan, sir"

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 12:49:30 pm »
you could get that chalkboard spraypaint and then just write the name of the beer in chalk! ;D
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline 3wood

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 08:28:04 am »
idea... you may try a local college art dept.  They will have a kiln and students taking a ceramics class...My wife did this in college as an elective, she made all types of cups and bowls, they may be able to custom make some that will fit a swing top.
Christ made the best wine!

Offline johnf

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 10:38:06 am »
idea... you may try a local college art dept.  They will have a kiln and students taking a ceramics class...My wife did this in college as an elective, she made all types of cups and bowls, they may be able to custom make some that will fit a swing top.

If you want it to hold carbonated beer, contact the engineering department, the art department won't understand the requirements.

Same with the square bottles, not meant for applications involving pressure.

Rogue uses painted bottles, they look fine. You could ask them what type of paint is used.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 08:49:21 am »

If you want it to hold carbonated beer, contact the engineering department, the art department won't understand the requirements.

Rogue uses painted bottles, they look fine. You could ask them what type of paint is used.

I don't know about rogue, but the paint used by Stone contains heavy metals. just something to think about.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline 3wood

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 04:12:59 pm »

I don't know about rogue, but the paint used by Stone contains heavy metals. just something to think about.

I actually have a rogue imperial IPA ceramic bottle with a swing top.  It is not a painted glass bottle (it can be done!!!)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2011, 04:15:31 pm »
I actually have a rogue imperial IPA ceramic bottle with a swing top.  It is not a painted glass bottle (it can be done!!!)

Most of those I've seen are glass painted to look like ceramic.  Have you checked yours?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 3wood

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2011, 04:18:20 pm »
100% sure this is a ceramic bottle.