Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BJCP category  (Read 7494 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: BJCP category
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2011, 09:50:39 am »
There is a huge difference between a beer blended with tomato juice, and a beer fermented with tomatoes.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2011, 10:37:31 am »
There is a huge difference between a beer blended with tomato juice, and a beer fermented with tomatoes.

I think so Tom, eventhough I have never tried making one. I've had beer with clamato which is meh...but I know when tomatoes begin to breakdown and ferment on the counter they lend a nasty, or very unappealing aroma. I can only imagine that nasty aroma and similar flavor in a Tomato beer.
Ron Price

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2011, 11:03:37 am »

Yeah, I only mentioned the Redeye in jest.  I've been in places that offered them but, strangely enough, was never tempted to try one.
Joe

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2011, 11:42:29 am »
I really like Bloody Mary's, so I might like a beer mixed with tomato juice.  But the tomato weizen I had was truly awful.  It is the worst beer I've ever had that had nothing technically wrong with it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2011, 05:46:11 am »
I hope when we do revise the guidelines we can tweak the fruit and vegetable beers. Maybe even subcategories within to help the judges at the table. Here's some old discussion on the BJCP Forum which began in 2008
http://www.bjcp.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=434
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!