Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: sunday night bottling  (Read 2996 times)

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
sunday night bottling
« on: September 11, 2011, 08:06:32 pm »
i know lots of people keg because it's quick and simple.

i still bottle.  i'm prepping stuff now.  george harrison's all thing shall pass is spinning on the turntable.  i'm sipping a home brew(a wheat porter one been working on).  i'm smiling.  i'm enjoying.  call me crazy, but i like the bottling process.

that is all.

a wonderful week to you all, keep on brewing.
cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline sparkleberry

• Brewer
Re: sunday night bottling
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 08:10:06 pm »
all things must pass.  sorry george.
cheers.

rpl
apertureales

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 12:41:27 am »
I'm into process so bottling is cool. Tunes on, glass of beer at hand. Bottle and top with cap- set aside and cap when all are filled. Bottle and cap.

I keg but wheat beers need to be in the bottle. That's contentious but just a preference of mine.

George Harrison really was great wasn't he? I knew of him more from the Traveling Wilburys but no stranger to the Beatles. I'm an early gen-xer. 8)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 10:59:17 am »
Well, that's great. I could not be happier to be kegging now.  I still bottle from the keg once in a while if it's a beer I really like and want to give away to people. 
Jesse

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 02:06:00 pm »
I enjoyed bottling.  Not the cleaning bottles before hand but actually bottling.  I like the sense of satifaction you feel when you crimp that last bottle, and look at a mass of 50+ bottles of hard work.  I still bottle some of my big brews that i want to age.

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 06:06:33 am »
I cant stay away from bottles either.  I still keg it all, but then half winds up in bottles and growlers to take with me to a party, brothers house, fishing...whatever.   (filled from the keg tap)

I agree that it is a half hour to an hour of quiet time, away from things, that I actually enjoy.  Although I have been watching Top Gear UK instead of George Harrison!!

Keep the bottles filling!
-- Wingnut - Cheers!

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 08:23:08 pm »
I too like bottling. (Washing bottles always goes faster than I think it will.) I appreciate its zen. I listen to NPR and fill bottles, one after the other. It reminds me I'm making a craft. Plus the secret sneaky thing about this stage of brewing is sipping a little uncarbed beer... very fresh, very green, flat, but just full of possibility.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline Caddywhompusbeer

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 06:53:46 am »
Get some grolsch-style flip top caps and its even easier. I can cap one while filling another  ;D. Plus they just look sweet and you get a really satisfying pop when you open a bottle.
Alcohol fuels my power cells - Phillip J Fry

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 06:04:46 pm »
I haven't bottled since July for a vacation and I also like to listen to some good music when doing so.  It is the perfect amount of time to listen to an entire album from beginning to end while sipping on homebrew.
Dan Chisholm

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 11:40:09 pm »
Get some grolsch-style flip top caps and its even easier. I can cap one while filling another  ;D. Plus they just look sweet and you get a really satisfying pop when you open a bottle.

This is exactly what I do, I bought 2 cases of 1-Liter fliptops and they've been workin great.
Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

Offline oscarvan

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2011, 01:54:34 pm »
"turntable"......??? Ah, that explains the bottling..... ;)
Wooden Shoe Brew Works (not a commercial operation) Bethlehem, PA
http://www.woodenshoemusic.com/WSBW/WSBW_All_grain_Setup.html
I brew WITH style..... not necessarily TO style.....

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 02:51:05 pm »
"turntable"......??? Ah, that explains the bottling..... ;)
I still use the Thorens turntable I bought back in 1972.  There is no finer playback quality than a good old belt drive turntable.  Bottling on the other hand sucks, especially since I brew 10 gallon batches.  I can sanitize and fill 2 kegs on my lunch hour and still have time to eat.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 06:50:06 pm »
I like bottling cause it means pau hana.  All the work is done.  Now all that is left is enjoyment - discrete quanta of brew!

(I keg too, but I enjoy serving from bottles much more)

I don't need no wah wah...

George Harrison really was great wasn't he? I knew of him more from the Traveling Wilburys but no stranger to the Beatles. I'm an early gen-xer. 8)

In 1971 I saved all of my tips from bagging groceries at the NAS Bermuda commissary for two weeks to buy All Things Must Pass  A three record album!  What a treasure!!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 07:05:50 pm by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907