Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Burning Hops?  (Read 2211 times)

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
Burning Hops?
« on: September 12, 2011, 09:12:47 am »
So I recently had a thought.  I brew on an electric stove in my apartment, so usually when I add extract, I completely remove the kettle from the burner so as not to burn the extract.  I have never used a hop bag and usually just dump the hops in at the specified time.  In a recent batch I used hop bags for the first time (and some leaf hops), and I noticed the beer tasted much cleaner than it has.  So I was wondering if it's possible to burn the hop residue that falls to the bottom of the kettle? 

Thanks
Homebrewed since 2010

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Burning Hops?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 09:28:13 am »
So I was wondering if it's possible to burn the hop residue that falls to the bottom of the kettle? 

Thanks

I don't think so.  At least I've never encountered it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 09:45:28 am »
I'm going to guess that millions (billions?) of batches of beer brewed commercially and at home over the past couple hundred years say that you don't need to worry about this.

Extract is very dense and thick, so it drops to the bottom and sits there, coating the bottom. This is not the case with hops.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline tomsawyer

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 09:54:37 am »
Maybe your beer tasted cleaner because of lower hop utilization?
Lennie
Hannibal, MO

Offline madscientist

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 10:59:13 am »
Maybe your beer tasted cleaner because of lower hop utilization?

Maybe.  I also used more DME than LME in this batch.  I usually stick with liquid extract, so even though i thought i wasn't burning it maybe i didn't mix it in as well as I thought I did. 
Homebrewed since 2010